• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

doing splits

Can you do a split?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Can you do a split?

• Yes
    • No

Spent two years practicing to get my right and left front splits (right was better).

...7-year hiatus...

Spent six months to get back my right front split, a few more weeks after that for my left. Then about six more months to get my side split with toes pointing up. Lastly six more months to get my side split with toes pointing forward (like real side kicks).

Oh, I don't practice doing splits outside my twice/thrice-a-week class.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is extremely important to have your muscles warm before trying to gain flexability. The best time for you to stretch is AFTER class or after a workout.

Stretching done before a workout is simply to help avoid injury, not to gain flexability.

Everyone is giving excellent advise otherwise. Stretch slowly, don't bounce, breathe, allow your body to relax into the stretch. Remember to only go until you feel slight discomfort, not pain. Pain while stretching is a signal of possible damage.

Good luck.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Also, do a search on the web for PNF stretching. I use this a lot (I'm about 4 inches on each side from full side splits.)

One technique I've used successfully is muscle tension. I'll get into my stretch, stretch for about 30-40 seconds, then slowly tighten my muscles in the area that I am stretching for 10-20 seconds. Then I'll let them relax, and I can usually go further into the stretch.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Good point Aodhan. PNF stretching does breed tremendous results.

If, for some odd reason, you can't find anything on PNF stretching. Try Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation (PNF).

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

well I can do both,but the side split is harder for me.As for how long,I have no idea.One day while stretching I was thinking,can I do a split ?Then next thing I know I was like 4 inches of the floor.Since then I stretched a lot and achieved it.Also I have tjis great book called ultimate flexibility by san h. kim .

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

If you do partner stretching, make sure you are careful. Tell your partner that "it's good enough" if it hurts. We did partner stretches tonight and I pulled a groin muscle (again). It's minor this time, but It's going to be annoying for a couple of weeks :(

Laurie F

ohhhh this one time we were doing partner stretches and the guy pushed my upper body to the floor real fast when I was with my legs wide open,and the next thing I know I heard a pop.Man , I couldn't walk right for a week. :karate:

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu