• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

doing splits

Can you do a split?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Can you do a split?

• Yes
    • No

I can *almost* do side splits and am about 3/4 of the way (or maybe a bit more) for doing front splits.

However, not being able to do the splits doesn't seem to affect my kicking height - I can kick to above my own head height with ease.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be any number of reasons. Poor hydration, muscles tight from a workout previous days, a couple days without stretching, sitting in one position for a long time, any number of different factors.

Also, exercise will shorten the muscles. If you ever go cycling for an extending period, when you get off the bike, be sure to stretch out your hamstrings, as they will "shorten" from the usage.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I am also able to do splits on some days and not others.

One thing that makes it easier is weather. Hot, humid weather makes it easier for muscles to stretch. I'm looking forward to summer! I bet I'll be doing splits EVERY day!

My ballet teacher says one way to make splits easier is to stretch before you go to bed. That way, your muscles won't "rebound" as quickly as they would if you had to, say, get up and spar.

I'm going to try that . . . if I can get myself motivated before bed!

looking forward to summer! I bet I'll be doing splits EVERY day!

My ballet teacher says one way to make splits easier is to stretch before you go to bed. That way, your muscles won't "rebound" as quickly as they would if you had to, say, get up and spar.

I'm going to try that . . . if I can get myself motivated before bed!

Good idea, I'll try that! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 4 weeks later...

The way I was able to do the splits was to stretch. I was actually naturally flexible so it wasn't that hard for me. But, I could still lose my flexibility. So my favorite stretch is to put my leg up as high as it'll go on a wall and stech forward. Gradually, your foot will go up higher and higher.

>Britt

Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

Tae- Foot Technique

Kwon- Hand Technique

Do-The way

9 years in MA now , never cared if I can split or no (except when I was a white belt ) ..

As long as my roundhouse has the KO power , thats fine for me

My Sensei says that lots of muscles around the tights prevent u from spliting !!!!! How true is that ?

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

• 5 months later...

yeah i lift a lot of weights so aint very flexible it's true that the more muscle you have the less flxiable you are.saying that though iv been strching for a week and can get 3/4 of the way into a front split

speed

agression

surprise

yeah i lift a lot of weights so aint very flexible it's true that the more muscle you have the less flxiable you are.

Contrary to popular belief, this is NOT a true statement. Bodybuilders can be just as flexible as ballerinas, the thing is that you have to do the correct flexibility exercises in order to gain flexibility.