• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

doing splits

Can you do a split?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Can you do a split?

• Yes
    • No

just curious to see how long it took some of you to do a full side and front split after you started training. can the process be sped up a little bit? will it compromise your progress if you cant by a certain point? 'preciate it! :-?

<-----------the art of people folding!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of your questions can be answered here.

http://www.stadion.com/

Buy the video, watch the video, practice with the video. Then you'll be able to do a split.

I bought it, arrived two weeks ago, and I like it. Goes well with my routine.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

I can't do a full side split. But I have no problem kicking someone taller than me in the head with a side kick. I can do a full split with my right leg out, and almost with my left leg out.

When I started, I couldn't even touch my toes, let alone do a split. I think I saw a slight difference in my flexibility in my third month of training (I touched my toes LOL). My front kicks got to my head level by then.

Laurie F

thanks for the info. just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad idea to get a video or book on it, i had looked into that my self. as i looked at the other threads on this subject i really didnt get an idea of how many practicing martial artists such as yourselves actually could do a split. with the poll ill get an idea, thanks for ur vote!

<-----------the art of people folding!

lots of practice, patience, and breathing

when you do your stretches i have found that you can really improve your level of flexibility for holding that stretch for a long time, not just 10-30 seconds like many of the styles i have witnessed. Hold the stretch till it burns and you feel the "pull", hold that for a minute or longer....until it's not so uncomfortable...then try to stretch a bit further....rotate between stretches and go back to original stretches...and go back and forth. Remember to do warm up stretches in order not to pull a muscle, and also cool down stretches....it has been shown that if you don't stretch at the end of a rigorous training session that your muscles can actually lose flexibility....not just stay the same but become more contracted and worse!

so stretch often and take the time to get a good stretch, and make sure to breathe.

by doing stretches for a longer length of time you make it a requirement to breathe.....

many schools have you stretch for a 10-30 seconds and many students just hold their breath, you want to get oxygen to those muscles.

hopefully this helps some....

oh, and yep i can do both front and side splits....

i found front splits to be much easier, and side splits (straddles) to take longer.

Many black belt, highly skilled and experienced martial artist are unable to do full splits....so don't get discouraged, it takes time, and some people's bodies are just not built for a full split, while others can perform them with ease.

you don't need to be able to do a full split to kick someone in the head, unless you are 4 feet tall and your opponent is 6 feet or taller....

so as long as your opponent isn't more than 2 feet taller than you you should be ok, lol

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

Granmasterchen offers very good advice!

Slow and steady stretching, lots of practice, and breathe -- try to relax into the stretch. Don't bounce while stretching!

Try stretching with a partner -- while lying down, extend one leg up to the ceiling and have a partner gently stretch the leg toward your head. Hold for several seconds and release. Repeat this a few times with the partner applying a little more force each time. For a greater challenge, perform this same stretch in a standing position, with your leg on your partner's shoulder -- the closer you stand to your partner, the greater the stretch.

A favorite time to stretch for one of my instructors is while watching TV. He uses the family room coffee table to brace a sitting v-split.

Finally, you can stretch your kicking ability by actually kicking. If you have access to a heavy bag, put strips of tape to mark off low - mid - and high kicks, and practice hitting those marks. When the highest mark becomes easy, move the tape a little higher. Granmasterchen and others are right - you don't need to do full splits to have high kicks.