• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hurting people?

At my school everyone jus tplays around and steals each others stuff and pens. So one of my friends stole my pen and i couldnt get it out of his hand and we were kinda just laughing so i figured i would just squeeze a pressure point on his hand (hoping just to hurt for like 2 seconds and not very much so i could just get his hand open) which wound up hurting him alot and it hurt for like 10 or 15 minutes and i felt really bad.

So i wouldn't recomend trying not to use karate or martial arts because you can wind up hurting someone you dont want to.

Focus

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL i actualt hurt my friends all the time its what makes us friends, this one guy asked to feel what a thai kick was like (how could i resist that temptation) another said he could get out of my kimora lock (lol) yet another said that i couldent break a base ball bat with a thai kick (he won that one) so i guess where just wierd.

Fist visible Strike invisible

As long as you aren't really hurting anyone and everyone knows it's just a game, then I don't think it really matters. One thing I'd be careful of though is getting into ego contests. Just don't do it. Either your friends will get hurt or you you will. Either way it proves nothing.

For me I practice on my friends every once in a while when I need a body. But when they want to play around I usually just let them hit me. They know I don't do contests and I have nothing to prove. Eventually they just stop trying.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Hehe, yeah, i occasionally tell a friend of mine to punch me so i can practice blocking strikes that i know won't be pulled . . . he usually quits after 2 or 3 :lol: . But what you're talking about is reflexively blocking a mock punch. DON"T try to get rid of that! a good martial artist shouldn't have to think about blocking a punch – that's what the countless repetitions are for. just this morning a guy at work yelled behand me to try to startle me. it worked. instead of the typical jumping into the air, i snaped into a fighting stance, leading w/ my hand (which happened to be holding an aerosol can) as i turned . . . lol, he's lucky he didn't get clocked w/ the can! Anyway, my point is that that sort of reaction is exactly what you're working to achieve, so your friends will either get used to the bruises, or quit messing around like that!

• 2 months later...
I only hurt my friends intentionally...sorry ;)

ahahaha...that's awesome *provided a deadpan delivery*

I've broken a friend's finger while 'playfighting'

same scenario as many of you have had..they want to see what all this martial arts stuff is about...they throw a really, painfully slow hook, and you feel like you're swatting at it instead of actually blocking it at full power...but their fist isn't tight, and you break their finger...*well, that's what happened to me at least*

With someone who doesn't understand the scope of martial arts training, and the meaning of repetition in your training, you'll usually have an unfair advantage..and even if you "swat" at a punch coming in, you're still using more speed and power than most untrained individuals.

Agreed...with time and patience comes controll

Think before you act, but act before it's too late.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3535/siggydemo58lq.jpg

(Images aren't allowed, but if you want, take a peek for yourself ^ )

Occasionally I run into some goon at work that feels like he can be overly friendly with coworkers and give a quick jab to an arm or gut. It doesn’t happen very often and when it does it is always in good humor. I always see it coming and play along, but sometimes I wonder: what if I’m distracted by something else and just catch his fist coming in my peripheral vision and accidentally react. I’ve trained for roughly 75% of my life to react to a punch, what if that comes out at work. What if I block and punch him back, or put him in an armbar or clothesline the joker.

Of course I would never do this knowingly and willingly but after all that is what we train to do. I think that we should try to differentiate between danger and play, but sometimes it’s hard to concentrate on that when so many other people are distracting you.