• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Anyone got any tips on how to tie draw string pants?

Ti

Usually when I sweat the gi soaks up the sweat and the strings don't move even when untied, but at the start when dry I find tey get loose.

How do you tie your drawstring pants so they don;'t get loose?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Usually when I sweat the gi soaks up the sweat and the strings don't move even when untied, but at the start when dry I find tey get loose.

A friend of mine used to always say that karate was Japanese for "art performed in difficult clothing."

Try losing the string and having some elastic sewn in there if you don't like it. Drawstring pants are pretty primitive. It's too bad that gi manufacturers who make good Japanese tournament cut uniforms have not abandoned the draw string.

When I work out, I prefer to wear a t-shirt and shorts, not a karate uniform. It saves money, because I don't have to buy as many uniforms, and its more comfortable. Plus, I don't have that popping noise to make me feel complacent about how fast I am going. It's hard to feel good about your martial arts skills when you are dressed down.

One suggestion I have for you is to look at the front of the pants. There are two loops there that the strings can be put through, usually. Do not tie the pants in the middle, but tie the first half of the knot under one of the loops, and then tie the second half over the top, so that it is anchored as well as tied in a knot.

The elastic is more expensive, but it is really the way to go. Gi pants are very uncomfortable to me.

I don't usually have a problem with my pants. I tie my draw string (like I tie my shoe laces), and it stays for me. I have problems with my belt LOL. It doesn't like to stay tied. But I found if I tie it tight the first time, and make sure it's tight before I start class, it's fine.

Laurie F

I have had that problem as well, especially with my aikido gi. I found that using the trousers from one of my karate gis helped. This particular gi is made out of 100% cotton, but the drawstring is nylon. It doesn't matter how wet it is, it never ever sticks.

So if you don't want to buy elastic pants, try to pull out the drawstring and replace it with a synthetic one.

Hope this helps

The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence,

but in the mastery of his passions.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson