• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Public schools + MA classes = ???

I've perused the instructor topic to see if there was any discussion on this but not finding any I will pose my own question...

Has anyone out there taught classes in a public high school school environment and what issues (if any) did you come across or have to resolve?

These can range anywhere from administrative, politic, student, or curriculum, ya know the whole kit'n'kaboodle.

I am interested to see responses that can discuss successes (or failures) and why you think they were such.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

you have to be careful teaching in a school setting, there are the bullies in the school that will abuse the sparring and teaching just to pick on the weaker students.....just something to consider

if done correctly and cafefully the school setting can be very beneficial to everyone.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I remember one dean in my school had a kung fu club but it didnt get much attention not many people joined and no one really paid much mind to it. So good luck with teaching in HS.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!

Thanks for the replies, My aim is to double-check what I am doing. I am looking for those gotchas as well as ideas how to further promote the class.

So far bullies don't seem to be an issue and not on anyones radar scope. But the point is well taken and think I need to be sensitive to this.

I have full support of the the schools Dean, and the PE Director so I consider myself and the class fortunate in that regard.

To be fair, this is my 5th year doing this but each year feels like the first. Also these are "required" PE classes (yup students are graded, evaluated, folded, stapled but not mutalated). So it's not a club and my enrolement is governed by schools education policy, ratios, state requirements and such. Student turnover from year to year is high although I do get a few repeats. Plus working with a finite 4 year maximum cycle keeps messing with my advancement plans. I'd like to learn of others experience here. This year I have a whole "new" crop of eager faces...

Sounds like a great program that is needed in many schools! How did you go about approaching the administration to get such a program started? Are there special certifications required by your distrtict, etc.? I am really interested in your proram!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

The process for me was unique as a woman who was teaching Yoga at the time actually approached me and told me who to connect with. Once done after the usual flurry of interviews and paper passing I have pretty much been left to my own devices.

The approach I took is to look at is as an athletic program, sell myself as a coach. Also I am not sure but having my face on cable TV every Tuesday night, a number years ago running a 24 episode self-defense program sponsored by the local High School probably didn't hurt. (Hey no Richard Simmons Show of the karate world jokes OK?). Several years later one of my senior Black Belts also ran a similar program on TV (with my name in the credits for every show) and then we did pilgrimage tour of a number of surrounding schools and libraries attempting to promote martial arts in schools. As a result I think these efforts planted a seed in the back of peoples minds. Community service is what I believe martial arts is all about anyway. As an individual, I am not very memorable, but everyone seems to remember my school.

As for certifications, to be a bonified teacher you need a teaching certificate via a 4 year college and then pass a comprehensive state exam to gain a license. Other than that, by state law everyone working with children must through background checks and get a CORI done. By being a lowly non-staff coach, I can avoid the licensing but still have to have background check.

I am in the process of setting up a program through the local Youth Center (Grades 7-12) as our school district is VERY RESISTANT to any outside or non-traditional programs. I would love to get into the school itself...maybe this will be a foot in the door for me. I have already been approached by a neighboring school district to come into pre-K classes....which, time permitting, may be a great "commercial" for my program. I agree that community service is what it is all about.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to start a MA program in the high school setting, a great way to get your foot in the door is to start a club. Our local high school has a karate club and the kids really enjoy it. You wouldnt be paid, but if your program gets popular, you could start doing private lessons or start talking to the school about making it a class or a sport. All you need is a credentialed teacher present during the class. That teacher could be taking the class as a student! I agree, our schools need more MA classes but adminstrators are afriad to offer these programs due to liability issues. They need to have some trust in you and your program. If you get parent support that would help tremendously! Good luck!!

Mary W.

Remember to Remember

I would think the bigger, stronger kids would use it to pick on other people.

My Nidan Grading! Check it Out: http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=27140

OSU!

"Behind each triumph are new peaks to be conquered." - Mas Oyama

Dojo Kun:http://www.diegobeltran.com/htms/dojo/dojokun.htm

https://www.kyokushinkarate.cjb.net