• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well it seems I've hit that age

I've now got more than a few parents of the children I teach getting upset and requesting that I refer to them by their first name rather than the typical formal Mr, Mrs, Ms that I've grown accustomed too. I'm only 21. Downside to this is that it doubles the number of names I need to remember.....it used to be just their childs first and last name...now I need to match parents names to kids as well (not to mention parents who happen to be uncles and aunts of other kids who also train) :-P Ah well,

Apparently either I'm getting older and are now on more of an equal footing....or they're getting older and they don't want to face it :-D

"Question oneself, before you question others"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Let the parents be a little upset. You are teaching their children respect, and you must define what is acceptable in your school. Outside of the school is one thing, but inside it is the instructor's rules and they are not negotiable.

I doubt that anyone would quit because you are being respectful.

--

Let the parents be a little upset. You are teaching their children respect, and you must define what is acceptable in your school. Outside of the school is one thing, but inside it is the instructor's rules and they are not negotiable.

I doubt that anyone would quit because you are being respectful.

--

No no, it's nothing like that. We don't have any formal rules as to how we refer to the parents. As a rule of thumb out of sheer respect, all of our younger instructors refer to everyone older than them as "sir, ma'am, miss etc.." or they use the last name with Mr, Mrs etc.

It's not that often I even need to use a name when speaking to them, because I'm usually very personal and direct so there's no mistaking who I am speaking to, but sometimes I need to use a name, and more and more of them feel more comfortable on a first name basis I suppose.

9/10 times when I'm talking to them, the kids aren't even around anyway btw.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

i'm a young guy myself (23) and it is hard for me to make the leap to "adulthood" and all that that implies. something good comes of that, though. parents begin to respect your abilities as both a teacher and a person and this is a positive influence when bridged with the respect their children (should) have for you.

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog