• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Master vs. Master?!?

In ATA, everyone tests for rank. Everyone. That means that at World Championships or the two big National tournaments, you will get to see the high ranks either midterming or actually testing for rank. And it's a sight to see, believe me. The forms flow, the board breaks are challenging and the sparring is incredible.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've sadly never seen it in friendly competition. Once I saw two masters want to go at it in the parking lot (like Ren & Stimpy) at a tournament. I also had to help break up a fight between a guy at our school (who came in 2nd at WTF Worlds in the early 80's) & a master who was being groomed for his own school under my master. Its started out friendly, but one cheap shot too many escalated into something ugly quick. The Korean master was asked to leave immediately. The "champ" was asked to leave the day after. The master never was aloud back. The "champ" came back a year later after begging forgiveness.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 2 weeks later...

The most impressive experience I ever saw was when I got to train with a bunch of Korean masters and it was kinda like an exclusive club, but since i was practically raised by one of the masters he made me come ot pracitce. there were two masters there that were former Hodori and Korean Tigers team memebers but they were showing me Kyuk Too Ki which is liek full contacting kickboxing with grappling, and the way they sparred and counter each other's techniques with throw and locks was simply amazing.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

Saw a sparring match between my Sensei's Sensei (who was 7th, going on 8th that day - had to spar because he was testing) versus a 4th or 5th if I recall.

One round had me laughing...as my Sensei's Sensei actually turned the guy around with a kick and thumped him fondly on his butt and the back of his head.

It was very enlightening for me as seeing a short stocky touch 40-50 yr old react so quickly and controlled, and with so much superiority over a younger more physically fit "trained" martial artist. It gave me, a short somewhat overweight stocky green belt, some hope for the future. *lol*

So not sure if that counts as a sparring match between masters...but it was enlightening none-the-less

Looking for an art to study...

We have a masters division, 5th Degrees. It's usualy a good comp. I get lucky sometimes and win a few but I'm not known for my tourney record. We compete with only each other, 5th Degree's only, on forms, sparring and a breaking comp.

The problem is the division is at the end of the tourney, so a good chunck of the croud has left, not knowing we still have some great fighting ahead. What I'm going to do when I host some tourney's is to move the masters division to the begining of the tourney (kind of like a demo) I think people would enjoy that.

What do you all think?

-Adam

We have a masters division, 5th Degrees. It's usualy a good comp. I get lucky sometimes and win a few but I'm not known for my tourney record. We compete with only each other, 5th Degree's only, on forms, sparring and a breaking comp.

The problem is the division is at the end of the tourney, so a good chunck of the croud has left, not knowing we still have some great fighting ahead. What I'm going to do when I host some tourney's is to move the masters division to the begining of the tourney (kind of like a demo) I think people would enjoy that.

What do you all think?

-Adam

I think It would be great. It'll draw everyone's interest & set the tone for the day. Sparring, breaking, demo's. Yeah, that would be cool.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I haven't seen any "masters" fight, per say, for in Cuong Nhu one is not considered a master until he or she has reached Rokudan, or 6th degree. I personally have never had the pleasure of meeting a Cuong Nhu sensei that had ascended past Yondan, or 4th degree.

I have seen several great sensei sparring matches, though. The best I've seen was between my sensei and a former student of his whom is also a sensei now. It was astoundingly wonderful, their timing and precision was immaculate, and they used just the right amount of energy whenever they threw a technique. It was really outstanding, watching two men who truly excel at what they do go at it.