• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

Very good points raised Kaju, but don't let yourself fall into that comfort zone of justifying techniques you know don't work within your own system. I know countless techniques from various systems that don't work on someone simply because they have an efficient guard and fast punches.

But dedication in training is a very vital factor.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion we didnt get to see which worked best, we got to see who trained the hardest.

If the level of commitment to martial arts is limited to some, even if its a great style, you are going to lose to someone who trains 10 times harder than you

Today, we see who trains hardest. In the initial competitions, we saw which worked best when one wasn't prepared for the other. a grappler with no striking training vs a striker with no grappling training. The grapplers proved that it's easier than most people think it is to take a person down. Doesn't mean it's the best, but it opened the eyes of the general public to some things.

Take us as an example:

I know because u told me, you train like an athlete. I'm a normal college sutdent whi just happens to train whenever he has the chance.

If we were to fight, you would have the advantage right off the bat just because you train like an athlete, I dont.

If we trained exactly the same, we would both have the same chance of winning the fight.

The nature of the style is very much responsible for this though. For instance, when I group my entire workout schedule together (lifting weights and training) most of my time is by far spent training. The reason why I have the endurance and strength I do is because I have to fight every night. The same is said for a boxer, a muay thai fighter, or a wrestler who trains often. The inherent nature of the martial art is going to produce tougher fighters because they have tougher workouts.

Its not that we dont train hard, its the fact that their daily training and fighting is part of their every day work - not workout.

So, while I have to go to college and study(and if I was at a part time job, work too). Their main obligation is working out because they HAVE to be in top shape for their fighting in the ring. That gives them a physical condition superior to those who just work out when we have time or at practices.

--I'm not saying his style is worse than mine, far from it, I'm just saying that we have different training methods which puts us in different leagues: he has to give more than 3 hours of training everyday, and with my schedule I can give 6-8 hours a week. This doesnt mean the style in which I train in cant compete against his: his body is accustomed to more physical strain than mine by far--

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Very good points raised Kaju, but don't let yourself fall into that comfort zone of justifying techniques you know don't work within your own system. I know countless techniques from various systems that don't work on someone simply because they have an efficient guard and fast punches.

But dedication in training is a very vital factor.

You know most of those techniques work when you adapt the technique to the situation. I think most of those techniques fall useless because of how they are practiced and taught, without giving importance to how you execute them.

I dont have delusions as to thinking all my techniques will work on EVERYONE. but all those techniques in my style HAVE been proved one way or another. If I cant make it work, I use another, if that wont work, I'll look for another- but I will use a technique that will work depending on the situation.

If everything else fails, then I'll fight my heart off win or lose.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Its not that we dont train hard, its the fact that their daily training and fighting is part of their every day work - not workout.

So, while I have to go to college and study(and if I was at a part time job, work too). Their main obligation is working out because they HAVE to be in top shape for their fighting in the ring. That gives them a physical condition superior to those who just work out when we have time or at practices.

We are in a similar boat. I'm out of school, but work two jobs - I am a bouncer by night and a web developer by day. I still find time to train 5 - 6 days a week though and compete when I get a chance. since I like to compete, I know that I must make time to train for it. I hit the gym on my lunch breaks, train 4 days per week and work out and train with 2 private students I have 2 days per week. competition drives us to train harder; it's the nature of the beast.

funny thing Kajukenbopr is that your last post on this thread, pretty much sums up the way we teach our Kempo system. Keep an open mind, find what works for you, and go from there. I remember my friends Sensei teaching him the typical dogma of "it doesn't matter how big the other guy is, size doesn't matter in karate", but in my school we embrace our different strengths and weaknesses and work to maximize the former and minimize the latter.

"Question oneself, before you question others"

It is the ego that drives us to compete and be better than all the rest. It is humility that teaches us that we can always be better than we are.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

It is humility that teaches us that we can always be better than we are.

And thats how we become better than all :)

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

UFC is a sport with rules and a soft mat. Some say the rules favor the strikers, some say they favor the grapplers. Personally, I think it favors grapplers. UFC does not represent the best that martial arts have to offer. It represents the best that UFC competitors have to offer. Many superb (I’d argue most) martial artists have zero desire to fight in competitions. It doesn’t mean their style is ineffective. Also, when a fighter loses a fight, he loses…not his style. There are numerous factors that go into a fighter wining or losing a fight. And just because a fighter says he trains in so-and-so style does not mean he is truly being train’d by an authentic instructor. There are many more hacks than true schools out there.

In the beginning, “No Rules” were hyped but I didn’t see anyone carry’n a bat or gun in the ring. Also, the styles were more varied in the beginning. Strikers faired well and so did grapplers. However, one sided fighters didn’t fare to well. Mr. Gracie show’d the world that if you can’t defend against someone who will grapple you on the ground, you’re in for a long day. Because of this, more and more emphasis was placed on the “ground fight” rather than “stand up fighting”.

UFC doesn’t depict real fights you’ll encounter on a daily basis. There are only a small percentage of people training in any martial art. If in a fight, one is a martial artist, most likely the other isn’t. In any fight, if you go in thinking about what style specific move you’re gonna apply, you’re probably already being hit in the face. As a teenager, I got into a fight with a guy. He had no training. I had no training. However, I could mimic kicks very well and that’s what I used; kick’s, and knees (maybe one or two punches) …all of which work’d. At one point, I kick’d him in the nuts and even while we were both amp’d up on adrenaline, it back’d him off. He saw he didn’t have a chance and ran in the house to get some knives. If the same fight happen’d today, I would have been more effective because now I have skills and he still doesn’t which would be like most encounters. Even with all the moves I know, if I can hit you in the nuts to end the fight, you’re gonna get hit in the nuts. I’ve seen the earliest fights in UFC where groin strikes were allow’d and not only were they used a lot, they work’d.

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

I'd also like to add that if you feel a "need" to test your skills, you lack confidence in your abilities. If you feel unsure about your techniques, I'd suggest you bring this up with your instructor and/or find a new school. Personally, I like to scrap a lil bit. This has nothing to do with my faith in my abilities. I'm just aggressive in this stage of my live. I love to tussle!

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.