• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

Well, i dont know what you mean by crash course. The NYPD pays huge sums of money on certified back belts, one was the founder of Miyama Ryu Jujitsu ( i might have picked thr wrong style, cause honestly i dont remember ). They dont have any courses thats the standard from what i heard, i think you might be referring to the police academy training, but cops in new york also attend seminars an trainings after the academy.. .

Seminars are far and few inbetween. Fighting is a physical skill, just like any other physical activity. As such, you can not expect to teach someone intricate details of a fight if they're only doing one seminar a month. Thats being generous too- most officers that have any kind of supplemental training maybe do it once every 3 months. Lets assume best case scenario and they're doing it once a month, or once every two weeks- its still not often enough. As a result, they are taught simple techniques that often work because their attacker is also untrained as well.

An the military also uses small joint manipulations, just like police officers do, they also train in bjj, they are jumping on the ufc bandwagon, an i really think thats a bad choice considering that ground grappling in war ( if it ever got to the point that you had to go hand to hand ) is foolish an crazy. But they still train in pugil stick fighting.. so id leave it at that.

Military is an example of not having a qualified instructor. Most institutions of this sort hire some sort of physical combat expert (I hesitate to call them martial artist, and often times their credentials can be questionable). Someone in the platoon does a couple of classes and hes charged with teaching the rest of the platoon the same skills (and he'll often have only 8-12 weeks to do it). As such, they dont go into much detail- its short and sweet to avoid complication.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

This has been a long and interesting discussion. At this time, though, I do believe that the thread itself has run it's course. Much of the same discussion continues to recycle, so therefore, with nothing new being added, I feel it is time to close this thread.

Thanks. :karate: