• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

Well the world doesnt throw one person at a time in your life, if your defending yourself, chances are hes not alone, again the ground will never be an option. An if you take anyone down on hard concrete then you are crazy cause concrete is not comfortable an it huirts for both parties.

An knife disarms are crazy, but people do disarm people. I know myself i been sliced in my forearms an i used the old wrap a jacket around your forearm an performed a simple elbow lock.

An small joint manipulation does work... tell that to all the police officers an soldiers around the world that constantly drill in it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the world doesnt throw one person at a time in your life, if your defending yourself, chances are hes not alone, again the ground will never be an option. An if you take anyone down on hard concrete then you are crazy cause concrete is not comfortable an it huirts for both parties.

Regardless of how common one-on-one encounters are (and I believe them to be more common than you seem to think they are), regardless of where you would like the fight to happen, if you end up on the ground then you need to know what you're doing. If you get taken against your will to the ground then you can either go foetal or you can start snapping things. Either way you're going to absorb some punishment.

Battling biomechanical dyslexia since 2007

Well the world doesnt throw one person at a time in your life, if your defending yourself, chances are hes not alone, again the ground will never be an option. An if you take anyone down on hard concrete then you are crazy cause concrete is not comfortable an it huirts for both parties..

One on one altercations are more frequent than multiple opponent altercations. Regardless if you're trying to grapple or strike your opponent, multiple opponents represents the same risk to both parties- as you concentrate on trying to hit one attacker, the other attackers grab, hold, or hit you. Striking will not help you any more than grappling will.

As far as taking anyone down on hard concrete, it doesnt hurt both parties- more often it hurts the one being taken down. I've done it multiple times and have come away unscathed. At the absolute worst, I've skinned my knees and elbows a little, but thats far better than dealing with a broken jaw or broken nose.

Also take into account that the fight very often goes to the ground, regardless of whether you want it to or not. Whether by accident or design, fights will find themselves there

An knife disarms are crazy, but people do disarm people. I know myself i been sliced in my forearms an i used the old wrap a jacket around your forearm an performed a simple elbow lock.

Yes, people do disarm people, but at a far lesser degree than the knife defenses would have you belive. If you get a chance, look at anyone who carries a knife and takes interest in it- odds are they certainly take pride in keeping it sharp. Then theres the people that teach knife defense and you'll always hear them say "expect to get cut" as if getting sliced by a knife is a minor threat. Knives slice through flesh easily and open up arteries like butter.

An small joint manipulation does work... tell that to all the police officers an soldiers around the world that constantly drill in it.

First off, police officers and soldiers are hardly the type of people to take unarmed combat advice from- they're not very good at it and know little much more than the average joe. Most of the people that instruct both military soldiers and police officers also have very little experience in what they're doing- they're amatuers, far from the technical expertise of professionals.

Secondly, I never said that small joint manipulation doesnt work, but rather that it cant be relied on in a fight. The precursors of a fight generally include posturing, grabbing, or some combination of the two. This is when small joint manipulations work best- when your opponent doesnt have a surge of adrenaline going through his body. The moment that the fight starts and both parties are actively involved, the effectiveness of small joint manipulation is drastically decreased. People are not going to notice minor things such as a broken finger or broken wrist- breaking such bones often occurs while throwing punches, nevermind attempting finger/joint locks, and most people have no idea that its happened. Only after the fight is over and the adrenaline starts to wear off do you hear people speak of how their hand or wrist hurts them, only to find out that they've torn some cartilage or fractured the bone.

I agree with all ninjer said...

And , going to a concrete floor is not such a big problem if you know how to land ! ( even if you are the one taken down)

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

First off, police officers and soldiers are hardly the type of people to take unarmed combat advice from- they're not very good at it and know little much more than the average joe. Most of the people that instruct both military soldiers and police officers also have very little experience in what they're doing- they're amatuers, far from the technical expertise of professionals.

As an employee of the County Jail where I live, I would have to say that I agree with ninjer here. The officers that are pretty good at the Defensive Tactics are the ones who are certified to teach it, and therefore spend more time working on it. More often than not, if things get physical, there is a taser involved. If it does get physical, the majority of techniques used are tackles followed by arm bars, or just working into a standing arm bar. Hardly ever does something like this go down while you are alone, though.

The other night, I did see a small joint manipulation work on an inmate, but the reason it worked so well is because he was being combative while he was being uncuffed. Two officers already had contol of his arms, and another stepped in to crank him, to keep him from getting unruly. Aside from that, you want to control the whole limb, and not the just the wrist. Getting ahold with both hands is the most advisable.

The problem that most LEOs have with making these things work is exactly what ninjer said; they don't spend enough time on it. When LEOs go to Academy, they typically spend one week on Physical Training/Defensive Tactics, and then that is it. I think that it should be a more focused-on aspect of the job, and should have a recertification done every 6 months to a year, at the least. In the end, you really aren't going to take much away from a 1 week course that is going to stick with you and help you out in the mix. The bottom line is that you will fall back on what you know.

Incidentally, the officer who put the lock on the guy wrestled some in high school, and he prefers to get people down to the ground, where he can work them into custody from there.

I agree totally

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

I am curious then as to who you think are the professionals.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

8)

The people who do it professionally, of course.

The kinds of people you see who are teaching close combatives in army boot camps, or teaching the new cadets techniques at the police academy are often nothing more than people who've themselves had a crash course in the very techniques they're showing. These are the kinds of people that various different credible martial artists get paid to teach.

Its a good sport. But outside in the streets theres no padded floors or refrees an rules. People use bottles, they claw eyes out, kick groins, knee you when your down, tell their buddies to join in to extend the numbers, an cement ground with debris an god knows what else is on the sidewalks, is this an envoirnment you want to be in as you grapple?

In the real world, going to the ground happens by mistake. You dont need a blackbelt to know that its really easy to kick someones face in while he rolls on the ground with your friend. Then theres the added effect of having your shirt pulled over your head, or your oponnets reach an using objects he finds on the ground. An who wants to go to the ground on dirty sidewalks... youd get scraped knees an elbows, for the love of god you might ctach something out there, let a lone you might be grappling with someone sick...

Grappling is vunerable for both sides, that why they fare so well in competetion, they exploit their oponnets vunerability. But theres too many obstacles in the street to overcome, your better off striking, look up on google or w/e, about fights with two or more people against one, if they survive, its cause they kicked an punched their way out.

8)

The people who do it professionally, of course.

The kinds of people you see who are teaching close combatives in army boot camps, or teaching the new cadets techniques at the police academy are often nothing more than people who've themselves had a crash course in the very techniques they're showing. These are the kinds of people that various different credible martial artists get paid to teach.

Well, i dont know what you mean by crash course. The NYPD pays huge sums of money on certified back belts, one was the founder of Miyama Ryu Jujitsu ( i might have picked thr wrong style, cause honestly i dont remember ). They dont have any courses thats the standard from what i heard, i think you might be referring to the police academy training, but cops in new york also attend seminars an trainings after the academy.

An the military also uses small joint manipulations, just like police officers do, they also train in bjj, they are jumping on the ufc bandwagon, an i really think thats a bad choice considering that ground grappling in war ( if it ever got to the point that you had to go hand to hand ) is foolish an crazy. But they still train in pugil stick fighting.. so id leave it at that.