• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

I dont think you can block every shot but I do think you can block and counterattack which to me is missing from MMA. Frank Mir did it in his fights with Wes Sims and Tim Sylvia. So I know it can be done, Ive even see Liddell do it, so you cant really say its not effective.

Also like elbows_and_knees said youve got to watch the event that have happened recently and you'll get the idea what he is getting across.

I do believe Pride does have better than fighters than the UFC. Fedor would crush any heavyweight in the UFC he comes across. Even Crocop could do that as well.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a more diverse competition, you should watch PRIDE FC, it has a lot of competitors that arent simular to eachother. Theres guys like Mirko Cro-cop who always keeps the fight standing up, while theres people like Rodrigo Noguira who keep it to the ground. Plus UFC is mostly fighters of the Western region, while Pride has the top fighters from all over the world.

I still can't figure out why they fight differently in PRIDE. A friend of mine claims that they're just better fighters, and they've figured out how to outstrike a grappler without getting grabbed, but I'm just not buying it. It's gotta be the name or something attracting different kinds of fighters....either that or a conspiracy by the owners of the shows to only allow certain fighters in! A conspiracy I say!

pride generally does attract better fighters. Also, pride somewhat favors strikers as the ref will stand you back up quicker than they will in ufc.

pride generally does attract better fighters. Also, pride somewhat favors strikers as the ref will stand you back up quicker than they will in ufc.

I disagree with you there. The Japanese audience is much more knowledgeable of the ground/fighting game than the typical American audience. As a result, they really appreciate a technical grappler who goes to work maneuvering through positions, wearing down his opponent, and looking for the submission. Since most American fans dont know about this stuff, they boo the moment a grappler gets a fight to the ground. As they become louder and more obnoxious, the pressure often gets to the refs (especially the inexperienced ones) to stand the fight up.

It is also easier to cut off the ring on a striker in the Pride ring as opposed to the octagon (easier to keep circling in the cage). The cage itself is a two way weapon- people like Liddel can use it to stand up, while people like Ortiz and Hughes will use it to nullifiy an opponents guard (neither of which you can do in Pride).

i think in ufc they end up on the ground because that is their fighting strength, they dont feel secure standing up and duking it out

"Live life easy and peacefully, but when it is time to fight become ferocious."

i think in ufc they end up on the ground because that is their fighting strength, they dont feel secure standing up and duking it out

nah, there are plenty of strikers in the ufc. if your takedown defense is weaker than your opponent's takedown ability though, then you are in trouble.

I enjoy a stand up fight better.

Although I see how groundfighting can help a fight, I think most of those fighters use it as an excuse to rest.

that's not true, really, unless they are both stalling, which is visible. the ground isn't a means of active rest like boxing's clinch. Those guys are working for position and submission or ground n pound.

I think most fighters feel more comfortable on the ground with their grappling skills or ground and pound skills.This is why the fight does down to the ground so quickly.

Take Titio vs. Chuck for example: Titto was a ground n pound fighter.Chuck is a stand knock you out kinda guy.Tito tried to stand with Chuck and got ko'd.Tito couldn't get Chuck down where he had the advanage.

Also look a Liddell vs. Horn.

Horn a great grappler couldn't take Chuck down .When Chuck would knock Horn down he didn't just jump into his guard knowing if he did he would most likely be submitted.

If fighting like this you should try to fight your fight and not think you have to follow him to the ground.

Chuck would take the fight to anyone in any phase of a fight (ground top, ground bottom, clinch, or standing).

Tito and Horn are great grapplers who were unable to take down Chuck because he himself is also a great grappler.