Opinion on UFC

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are we considering altercations? Does mugging, Robbery, rape, car jackings fit into that catagory? Can an altercation be an assult and one with a weapon, if we include the above assults then the statistics will go up. I do think that it would be vary rare to come up against a trained Arnis fighter than a drunk guy with a knife....If I had my coice drunk guy..lol

The statistics still don't go up that much. When you think of how many people there are in the world, the number of people that are victims of these things is actually quite low. The simple fact is that most people will not be involved in an altercation in their adult lives. In my city of about 700,00 people, this year, we've had about 115 murders. that is a lot, but small in comparison to 700,000. And even at 115, we are worse than the national average in that and every other category when it comes to crime. In 2004, we had the following:

3771 robberies

444 rapes

105 murders

7339 car thefts

233 arsons

and thousands of other violent crimes, totaling 10,133. so, out of 700,000 people, only 10,133 were victimized. More than we'd like, but it shows what we are saying - most people are not victimized.

that's why I use the following when comparing sport fighters to self defense guys:

SD guys train for a possibility; sport guys train for an inevitability.

Elbows,

Great analysis, to which I would like to add that many of these crimes are probably redundant in terms fo victims. That is, that people that are prone to be victims of one kind of violent crime, are, for structural sociological (like class segregation and concentration of poverty in inner cities) or lifestyle reasons, more likely than the rest of the population to be involved in or victims of the other categories of violent crime. So, the actual number of victimized individuals is probably smaller than that.

Which means that, ther is no reason to be involved in streetfights unless you want to or are very unlucky!

• 4 months later...
What are we considering altercations? Does mugging, Robbery, rape, car jackings fit into that catagory? Can an altercation be an assult and one with a weapon, if we include the above assults then the statistics will go up. I do think that it would be vary rare to come up against a trained Arnis fighter than a drunk guy with a knife....If I had my coice drunk guy..lol

The statistics still don't go up that much. When you think of how many people there are in the world, the number of people that are victims of these things is actually quite low. The simple fact is that most people will not be involved in an altercation in their adult lives. In my city of about 700,00 people, this year, we've had about 115 murders. that is a lot, but small in comparison to 700,000. And even at 115, we are worse than the national average in that and every other category when it comes to crime. In 2004, we had the following:

3771 robberies

444 rapes

105 murders

7339 car thefts

233 arsons

and thousands of other violent crimes, totaling 10,133. so, out of 700,000 people, only 10,133 were victimized. More than we'd like, but it shows what we are saying - most people are not victimized.

that's why I use the following when comparing sport fighters to self defense guys:

SD guys train for a possibility; sport guys train for an inevitability.

What stats are you getting? 105 murders? I wish it were really like that! I live in the East Bay area and in 2006 alone there were 85 homicides in Richmond. 3 in berkeley, 126 in Oakland and probably 100+ more in SF. That's not counting the other cities San Jose, Vallejo, East Palo Alto.

I also thing that a "sport guy" isn't ready when the inevitable thug comes up to you with a gun to your chest. A self-defense (MA) person tends to learn to avoid the conflict altogether.

My take on UFC = Mortal Kombat. (I always imagine Shang Tsun coming to one of these fights saying: Your soul is mine.) I see little art in their fighting, just a few punches then straight to the ground. I think it's very popular because when you train in MMA, it doesn't take that long of training to get results, unlike other martial arts where it may take 2-3 years to actually be raw. U.S. people want it Now, Now, NOW!

I actually made a bet with my teacher that in ten years, when i earn a black belt, i will walk into anyone of those UFC fights, challenge three fighters and beat them in 3 rounds or less. Yes, it seems insane and it may seem cocky, but they don't look that tough.

That macho statement leads into my next point: the variable of the practicioner. Much earlier in this thread, someone said that Kung Fu and Karate masters were defeated by the almighty, invincible Iron style: BJJ. I say: it's not the style, it's how well you train.

Forget the UFC. Throw a Shaolin Monk in there and we'll see in MMA can stand up.

Destined To Bring Light

I also thing that a "sport guy" isn't ready when the inevitable thug comes up to you with a gun to your chest. A self-defense (MA) person tends to learn to avoid the conflict altogether.

I really don't think that anyone is truly prepared for this kind of scenario.

I think it's very popular because when you train in MMA, it doesn't take that long of training to get results, unlike other martial arts where it may take 2-3 years to actually be raw. U.S. people want it Now, Now, NOW!

I think that most of the guys who have been training for MMA events have had many years of training behind them. Remember that a lot of them were former college wrestlers, or have obtained black belts in other martial arts as well. Also, when they start training MMA, they have to put in their time, just like anyone else. They have to work their way up the ladder, just like everyone else does.

Well it depends on theperson. Most ufc fights i have seen end up on the ground.

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

I think it's very popular because when you train in MMA, it doesn't take that long of training to get results, unlike other martial arts where it may take 2-3 years to actually be raw. U.S. people want it Now, Now, NOW!
I think that most of the guys who have been training for MMA events have had many years of training behind them. Remember that a lot of them were former college wrestlers, or have obtained black belts in other martial arts as well. Also, when they start training MMA, they have to put in their time, just like anyone else. They have to work their way up the ladder, just like everyone else does.

Yes, and proof of this for you Tef, would be Georges St. Pierre, I think he has a 2nd Dan in Kyokushin Karate, Chuck Liddell trained in Koei-Kan Karate-do from the age of 12, and Karo Parisyan has been a Judoka from age 9, etc.

A New Age Dawns

I can see on this subject that many people are weary about differing styles. Mud slinging does nothing and its down to the persons sweat and tears over the years that make them a fighter

:kaioken: :kaioken: >>>>NOT THE SYSTEM<<<< :kaioken: :kaioken:

MMA fighters regardless of styles, will train in a manner of all angles of combat.

Kicking range

punching range

clinch

grapple

ground game

Many fighters come from differing backgrounds of training , but 1 thing is common they dont get in the MMA ring without first showing they can fight. Regardless of style if you can your in , and this means you are a fighter. Train in traditional martial arts only without cross training, simply will not work in this 'sport'. Cross training in martial arts is only way to survive inn that arena if u dont train this way , you could end up dead.

Wing chun helps you find the path to ones inner strength. I am getting stronger

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml

• 2 weeks later...
I can see on this subject that many people are weary about differing styles. Mud slinging does nothing and its down to the persons sweat and tears over the years that make them a fighter

:kaioken: :kaioken: >>>>NOT THE SYSTEM<<<< :kaioken: :kaioken:

MMA fighters regardless of styles, will train in a manner of all angles of combat.

Kicking range

punching range

clinch

grapple

ground game

To deny that different systems produce different qualities of fighters is to deny the obvious- thats WHY we have different styles of martial arts, because different people have different approaches to combat.

Lets look at someone like Maurice Smith, a world class kickboxer who started fighting MMA. He didnt fair too well initially, losing many of his matches to others train in grappling. Then he starts training in a different style under Frank Shamrock, and next thing you know hes knowledgable of the ground fight and able to fend for himself on the ground long enough to get back to his feet- which is what he used against Mark Coleman in their fight for a win.

The same goes for Igor Vovchanchyn- a quality kickboxer who gets beat by a quality wrestler in Mark Coleman who manages to drop a few knees from the north south position. Vov goes on to train more extensively in his ground game, and now hes able to throw his weight around on the ground.

Then theres people like Stefan Leko, a K-1 world class kickboxer who is every bit an athlete if there ever was, but hes atrocious in mixed martial arts because he has no ground skills and training whatsoever. Then you have someone like Royce Gracie, who's anything but an athlete- hes not fast, hes not strong, and hes not big. Hes done karate for about 15 years, but still cant strike worth anything off the feet. He won his fights because he trained in the martial art that gave him the edge to defeat his opponents. Someone like Harold Howard was credited as being a canadian ju jitsu champion/black belt, but he went on to be pounded out by a TKD fighter who weighed less than he did and had no ground experience at all- even when comparing JJJ and BJJ, there is a big difference in styles.