• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

.....throat strikes. elbows and knees are allowed in some sports, as are headbutts. And illegally, they are used as quick strikes all the time in all contact sports - boxing, muay thai, judo, heck, even soccer and american football.

Great point. I've many times while boxing used an elbow disguised as a hook. I used to watch Tyson use it to finish off opponents in the 80's. Illegal, but if you're quick enough it's hard to catch. And if an uppercut misses the chin and nails him in the Adam's apple---oops....

:karate:

With respect,

Sohan

definitely. Freddie Roach - one of tyson's recent coaches - has been quoted saying "If a good hook misses, the elbow lands"

Also, remember that karate / tkd movie from the late 80's called "best of the best"? (I love that movie) in the last match between tommy lee and dae han, dae han elbows tommy in the nose from close range, but it's so fast the refs think it's a punch.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think most fights end up on the ground?

Yup... I've seen so many fights where the guy jumps on the other guys chest and pounds his face.

UFC is great entertainment- I just got into watching it when UFC 60 came.

I'm pretty sure if someone attacked a UFC fighter, it wouldn't go well for them.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• 4 weeks later...

i'm coming into this rather late, but these are my thoughts:

i started watching UFC a couple of years ago, and i really enjoy it. i think its great that a fighting competition with limited rules exists and is broadcast so widely.

however, i do not think UFC is very realistic and i do not think methods used in UFC are necessarily the best self-defense methods, because of the following:

UFC has rules, time-limits, breaks, supporters etc, real fighting has none of these things.

UFC is garaunteed one on one, in a real fight the situation could be different. even if a real fight starts out one on one, others can join in.

UFC is a fight between two martial artists, real fights usually involve one or more untrained fighters.

UFC occurs in an octagon, real fights will most certainly not occur in an octagon.

UFC fights occur at prearranged times, in a real fight you may have just seconds to prepare.

UFC is empty hand, real fighting is not necessarily empty hand.

despite this i love watching UFC and the fighting methods used in it are still genius and the fighters extremely skilled.

one of the martial arts i practice is kendo. i love watching and fighting in kendo matches. however these matches, while they use real sword fighting techniques are nothing like real sword combat because of the restrictions placed on the match and the fact that it is a match and not a fight occuring in an unexpected place at an unexpected time with other people as possible combatants. i see UFC fighting in the same way.

as for most fights going to the ground, i honestly don't know. people often produce statistics on this, but the methods used to obtain those statistics are either unknown or unreliable, so i go on my own experience.

i have been in three fights, and i didn't go to the ground in any of them. one of them involved six people, and some of those people did go to the ground. i have also seen two violent encounters, one of which went to the ground.

i think it important to remember that in real violent encounters, none of the combatants might have the objective of submitting, crippling or killing another. often it is enough for a thug to punch you in the face and leave it at that, but of course you should be trained to go to the ground just in case.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

No, the UFC does represent a real fight. However, it is "as real as it gets" and UFC/PRIDE fighters ARE the best fighters in the world.

As far as fights going to the ground, the 90% statistic is for serious, life threatening encounters. That's what I train for. If I talk about fights, I'm not talking about schoolyard fights or some pompous guy who wants to get in a shoving match.

I'm not concerned about training for non-life threatening encounters. First of all, my stuff is easily ramped down to the level of my assailant's assault. Second, by it's very nature, if it isn't life threatening, it's secondary in training.

So I will train for the ground knowing that if I am ever if a fight for my life, that's where I'll probably end up.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

i started watching UFC a couple of years ago, and i really enjoy it. i think its great that a fighting competition with limited rules exists and is broadcast so widely.

however, i do not think UFC is very realistic and i do not think methods used in UFC are necessarily the best self-defense methods, because of the following:

UFC has rules, time-limits, breaks, supporters etc, real fighting has none of these things.

UFC is garaunteed one on one, in a real fight the situation could be different. even if a real fight starts out one on one, others can join in.

UFC is a fight between two martial artists, real fights usually involve one or more untrained fighters.

UFC occurs in an octagon, real fights will most certainly not occur in an octagon.

UFC fights occur at prearranged times, in a real fight you may have just seconds to prepare.

despite this i love watching UFC and the fighting methods used in it are still genius and the fighters extremely skilled.

one of the martial arts i practice is kendo. i love watching and fighting in kendo matches. however these matches, while they use real sword fighting techniques are nothing like real sword combat because of the restrictions placed on the match and the fact that it is a match and not a fight occuring in an unexpected place at an unexpected time with other people as possible combatants. i see UFC fighting in the same way.

as for most fights going to the ground, i honestly don't know. people often produce statistics on this, but the methods used to obtain those statistics are either unknown or unreliable, so i go on my own experience.

i have been in three fights, and i didn't go to the ground in any of them. one of them involved six people, and some of those people did go to the ground. i have also seen two violent encounters, one of which went to the ground.

i think it important to remember that in real violent encounters, none of the combatants might have the objective of submitting, crippling or killing another. often it is enough for a thug to punch you in the face and leave it at that, but of course you should be trained to go to the ground just in case.

the thing about it is that you will not find a dojo ANYWHERE that has streetfight rules. nor will you find a competition that allows them. So sure, you can say, "ufc is not realistic" but nor is the training you are getting in kendo, shotokan, taiji or anything else, to be technical.

As for the statistics, they were police stats.

the thing about it is that you will not find a dojo ANYWHERE that has streetfight rules. nor will you find a competition that allows them. So sure, you can say, "ufc is not realistic" but nor is the training you are getting in kendo, shotokan, taiji or anything else, to be technical.

As for the statistics, they were police stats.

This is a very good and true point.

yes, i've already admitted that. i've been in and seen real street fights and they look nothing like anything i've ever seen in a dojo, and neither do they look like UFC.

maybe the general opinion is different on this forum (i'd only been here a day or two when i made that previous post), but among the people i know in real life often the UFC really is seen as the ultimate in fighting and everyone goes on about how realistic it is. its not realisitic, but that doesn't mean that its bad or that the fighting methods used in it are bad.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

No, it's not REAL but it is AS REAL AS IT GETS. It is the closest approximation of a streetfight that is socially and legally acceptable.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

• 2 weeks later...
No, the UFC does represent a real fight. However, it is "as real as it gets" and UFC/PRIDE fighters ARE the best fighters in the world.

No, Marines, SEALS, SAS, etc are the best fighters in the world.

I'd rather fight a UFC fighter than any of them. But that's beside the point.

Military members are human also. Besides military they are training to fight as buddies. Usually with minimum of two people. So in the military you got your buddy with his weapon by your side. Hand 2 Hand hasn't been as emphasized as of much until last few years. Alot of the stuff is off of MMA techniques adapted for use for the military.