• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinion on UFC

I'd be willing to bet that most street fights resulting in death included a weapon of some sort that caused the death, or a head injury due to contact with a solid surface. Although it happens, I doubt many fighters literally killed another person with their bare hands.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet that most street fights resulting in death included a weapon of some sort that caused the death, or a head injury due to contact with a solid surface. Although it happens, I doubt many fighters literally killed another person with their bare hands.[/quote

Hello, You may be right here....in a real street fight there is NO rules...most peope will use a weapon of some kind. Even Bruce Lee ,mention he would grab a weapon too...survival is the key.

If you don't take advanages of a weapon....the other person/persons will.

Last week over 50 young kids attack a family camping on the beach...the father ask them to be quiet...and they hit him with a baseball bat...his wife starting yelling and they hit her with bat,giving her mulitple stictches on the head. The husband had many bruises on his body. Lucky the children were not harm and anyone killed.

It took the police a while to get there. Things can happen quickly and get ulgy fast...................Aloha

PS: Many police reports are not printed in the news...it is so common for assult and batteries. Happens daily. Talk to any police officer.

Things can happen quickly and get ulgy fast...................Aloha

PS: Many police reports are not printed in the news...it is so common for assult and batteries. Happens daily. Talk to any police officer.

It might be time to move this subject to a different thread, but on this topic I agree with you. That said, I also think you may live in a rougher areas than some of us. The increasing pressures of tourism on the island locals cause problems that are well documented. I don't know if that was a factor is this case.

Your point is valid. You never know where or when danger could arise and must be ready.

Things can happen quickly and get ulgy fast...................Aloha

It might be time to move this subject to a different thread, but on this topic I agree with you. That said, I also think you may live in a rougher areas than some of us. The increasing pressures of tourism on the island locals cause problems that are well documented. I don't know if that was a factor is this case.

Your point is valid. You never know where or when danger could arise and must be ready.

Hello, Hawaii a rougher area? like many places we have a nice neighborhoods and places you should not go too!

Keep in mind at the same time...many of the martial art in the Mainland (USA) came from Hawaii. (Ed Parker kenpo, Kajukenpo,Funakoshi (Shotokan, Wally Jay's small circle jitijisu, and many others too...that spread from Hawaii. HAWAII A ROUGH PLACE TO LIVE?

Remember as a tourist (anywhere in the world) ...if you were treated nice...you will remember as a nice vcaction. BUT if you were attack,rob,cheated, treated badly....you will remember it as a terrible place! ....everyone will have their own experiences...Have a nice day!

...........Aloha ( means Hello,good-bye,good luck, see you again). AH...LO..HA.........until we met again!

Kajukenbopr wrote:

I know most of you if not all have seen at least one Ultimate Fighting Champion fight.

My question today is: what is your opinion in it? I have seen UFC and I've seen full contact matches 1 on 1, 2on 1, and 3 on 1 on self defense classes. rarely did these fight reach the ground, and in the cases they did the fighters just tried to get away from each other to get on their feet and keep figting(also, happened in UFC fights).

Do you think most fights end up on the ground?

I have seen several fights go to the ground, and have recently been involved in one. The result? The guys without any ground knowledge got beaten. The one I was recently in involved multiple attackers.

Quote:

Another point I want to discuss is other than submissions I dont see or rarely any art in their fights.

No offense, but that is because you don't know what you are looking at. Many people think grappling is boring - that it merely looks like rolling on the ground. Once you learn how grappling works and what they are trying to do, you see more art. Also, they are FIGHTING, not training, sparring, etc. Fighting typically isn't pretty.

Quote:

We all get tired, we all get sloppy without training, but how come these people who are supposed to be the best fighters in the world cant block punches like in the arts that they were taught in, kick like they should, or look for something other than submissions in a fight???

actually, blocking can be quite inefficient when dealing with repeated strikes. It's like walking backward - the guy walking forward will always catch you eventually. you can't block everything' eventually, you will get hit. consequently, movement is preferred. Not all fighters like to move - some prefer to stand there and duke it out, hoping they do more damage first - it's all personal preference. As for only looking for submissions, you don't watch any recent MMA stuff, do you? most of the action now is standing and not on the ground.

Quote:

I know strength is necessary in a fight, but, when does it stop being martial arts and become brute people hacking away at one another??

It doesn't and never will. they are MARTIAL arts, after all. As I said, fighting isn't pretty.

Quote:

Why does UFC change the styles and makes it look more and more like kickboxing/bjj ??? I know those are effective styles, but there IS more than that in the world of martial arts, and YES, they are effective.

because they are using what has worked time and time again. this is what research over hundreds of fights has shown us. Can a butterfly kick work in a fight? sure, it CAN, but from what we've seen, less flashy techniques are more effective. When someone goes on a winning streak using unconventional techniques, you will then see people begin to re-evaluate. Until then, don't expect to see it... Also, nobody from those other styles is willing to step up and put themselves on the line like that. it's rare that you see a traditional stylist who is willing to compete.

Great points, elbows and knees - posted in Sep 2005, still valid in Feb 2007!

hear hear! Although I would really like to see more styles take up the MMA challenge, as it would make it more interesting (to me at least). However lower level local MMA tournaments tend to get a wider range of styles (or so I have heard...with even some Kung fu guys doing fairly well). I want to see someone in something like Sanshou train hard core and add a new dimension to the combat in UFC, but regardless I think that the next breakout art in MMA won't be getting in anytime soon since the effort to get past the more streamlined Mauy Tai/Judo/Bjj/Western arts means that you'll need to train harder than the next guy...something that most (including me) are not willing to do.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Good point. Maybe they can start fighting with real swords. :P

Good point. Maybe they can start fighting with real swords. :P

Two man enter, one man leave!

I'd watch that! :lol:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

The whole UFC vs. street fighting thing is an ongoing debate with no real winner.

To me, it all comes down to training. Those UFC guys excel so well because that's their LIFE, their living. They train hard and work hard to succeed in the ring. If a Tang Soo Do guy took so much time and effort, he might succeed, but we don't know. Why? Because the usual formula works. Some arts are simpler, therefor you can become insanely proficient in such a short time.

I've taken Ving Tsun (please don't confuse it with Wing Chun) for a long time, and one thing I notice is that it CAN NOT work in the ring. It's entire purpose is to fight beyond the ring. It gouges eyes, pulls hair, snaps knees, DOES groundwork (only enough necessary to finish something brutally and quickly). Because it doesn't work in the UFC, it is disregarded by most. I don't believe this is right. You can say that UFC guys can fight dirty too, but is this trained to be their first reaction? No. When I know I can't win by convential means far before the confrontation starts, I've already decided on my primary techniques. Go for the vital points: the eyes, throat, knees, joints and groin. They work, trust me there, but in the ring there are rules which in no way reflect a life or death brawl.

Not to say in ANY way that a UFC guy couldn't handle himself in a street confrontation, but would he have an advantage against someone in Ving Tsun or something of the like? We will NEVER know until we see it with our own eyes in a total no-rules life or death brawl.

Until then it's all speculation and opinion, in no way something decisive.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"