• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is tameshiwara required for black belt ranking?

SaiFightsMS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Breaking is the one requirement we have that holds more kids back from getting their black belt. Few of ours can really do the requirements much before 12 or 13.

There is so much more than the ability or inability to do one thing that should determine ones suitablity to become a black belt. In the area of being mentally able to handle the skills and use them appropriately I think those who realize after they have done some breaking that they really can do some damage they tend to think more before actually becoming involved in a physical altercation. But then that is just my opinion.

Our dojo doesnt require board breaks either. We have done breaking periodically as a confidece builder and to work on focusing a technique. I must admit when I had to break that first board it looked like a whole tree to me, now its just a little piece of wood. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Ours doesn't, but i know they did at one time.

Alot of the stuff has been relaxed because of long-term health concerns joints, backs etc..

We learn the techniques and do some breaking with two-piece boards but not for the belt.

For some reason we have to wait for certain period, usually a year, between the last brown and black Though.

• 2 weeks later...

Annonymous put it best. You can teach anyone to break a board...it doesn't mean that you have learned any Karate. Bruce Lee's comment is also very good for this subject. True Karate is not about how many boards you can break. SKA does not require breaking in Dan tests.

Daniel

Shodan with Shotokan Karate of America