• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Krav Maga vs Kung Fu (real life situation/Self Defence)

It seems many of us keep posting the same information over and over and over...lol

It's the fighter, not the style. I can use my Mountain Dew can against someone dangerously.

Does that mean I practice Mountain Dew Fu?

KM is like Muary Thai, Penjak Silat, and others...

Someone's way or understanding of how to fight a fight.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems many of us keep posting the same information over and over and over...lol

It's the fighter, not the style. I can use my Mountain Dew can against someone dangerously.

Does that mean I practice Mountain Dew Fu?

:)

I love it! As a Starbuck's addict, I'll have to add Starbuck's Fu to my styles :lol:

On the serious side, I used to secretly deride the Northern Kung Fu I was learning at the same time as crosstraining in Southern Kung Fu San Soo. While it's true San Soo (and KM has some similarities) is what I fall back on when a situation seems truly dangerouis (not just some old cowboy haymaker that takes about five minutes to windup), the longer I study, practice, and live, the more benefit--defense benefit--I can see in the Northern Style (5 Animal Shaolin).

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

Let's remember, this thread isn't this art vs. some other art. It is for discussing the differences between the two - not which would beat the other.

Thanks.

you guys got so busted!! :lol:

On a serious note tho, check out the instuctor rather than the art. Can he answer his student's questions. Does he understand why a technique works and have an explanation why something is done. Is he confident and humble. Is he aware of the pace of the class, challenging the student's when they need it, and backing off when they've had enough. I could go on, but you just have to feel out the instuctor, they will probably both do fine. And the chances of you getting into a "real" self defense situation is limited, so examine your reasons for traing too. Let a know what your choice is.

place clever martial arts phrase here

• 1 month later...
In this day and age of escalting violence one must learn how to defend himself effectively. What are the similarities and differences between Krav Maga and Kung fu(be it Northern or southern/hard or soft style)? How do each benefit on a long and short term bases in terms of self defence? And finally which is most effective in real life/ street situations?

When I say real life/self defence situation I mean if someone wanted to hurt you or a family member. And it was "kill or be killed" which is more effective?

Depends on what you learn. Krav Maga will teach you faster than Kung Fu

but Kung Fu(depending on the style) can be pretty devastating. just as long as you have a good self defense instructor, you will find what you are looking for

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

You are mistaken. :)

Krav maga, which translated from Hebrew means, "close combat," was created by Imi Lichtenfeld as a means to provide a simple, yet effective hand-to-hand combat system for the Isreali troops. Imi Lichtenfeld's background lay mostly with wrestling and boxing (allegedly a national champion in both), although it is stated he was also well versed in judo/jujutsu. It is said he had ample opportunity to apply his skills in real situations during WWII and the later occupation of Palestine (the region now known as Isreal). Mr. Lichtenfeld created krav maga around the 1940s, when he served as chief instructor for the Isreali defense forces. It was later morphed and presented to the civilian populace in 1964, after Mr. Lictenfeld retired from the military. Both he and the art are highly regarded in Isreal.

Krav maga continues to undergo 'minor' changes, but maintains its basic outline of being a simple self-defense system that has its roots in wrestling, boxing, and jujutsu. It is a series of tricks, as opposed to a system of principles, and has no 'personality,' per se. It is as boxing or wrestling, applications that work for the respective needs, and nothing more. Therefore the depth of growth associated with the art is strongly dependent upon the student looking beyond the art to expand his repertoire... or grasp principles. This, in my opinion, tends to cause many noviciates to erroneoulsy think krav maga is an indepth system. It is not, the longtime practitioners are... for they do not limit their studies to just krav maga. Indeed, i don't believe i've found even 'one' qualified instructor of krav maga that is a purist in the system.

As to kung fu, as i and others have indicated, there are literally hundreds (possibly thousands) of Chinese martial art systems. Kung fu, although meaning something entirely different in Chinese, has come to mean Chinese martial art systems. The variety of Chinese martial arts, from shuai chiao, to wing chun, to choy li fut, to long fist, makes it virtually impossible to pose a comparison of effectiveness, especially since what truly makes the difference in these arts is how they are studied and how well conditioned the practitioner is. Some Chinese martial arts consist only of functional and applicable techniques, while others consist of forms, philosophies, and rituals.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

In this day and age of escalting violence one must learn how to defend himself effectively. What are the similarities and differences between Krav Maga and Kung fu(be it Northern or southern/hard or soft style)? How do each benefit on a long and short term bases in terms of self defence? And finally which is most effective in real life/ street situations?

When I say real life/self defence situation I mean if someone wanted to hurt you or a family member. And it was "kill or be killed" which is more effective?

Depends on what you learn. Krav Maga will teach you faster than Kung Fu

but Kung Fu(depending on the style) can be pretty devastating. just as long as you have a good self defense instructor, you will find what you are looking for

I second that. If you want to commit time to your martial arts training I believe that kung fu is the better and the more devastating option. So the answer to which is better is as always dependent on what you want. None are better as such, but only better at serving YOUR needs. Longterm results in kung fu and short term in krav maga.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

• 2 weeks later...

Kung Fu is a traditional style and Krav Maga is a Self Defense System. The focus of Self Defense systems is to address situations that truely happen daily in the street. Traditional styles usually deal with fighting in a respectable manner with honor and dignity. This type of training may prepare you for a "fair fight" but not a street attack. However, the street represents a dark world with infinite possibilities of being attacked violently with little or no warning.

Street violence is very random and victims are usually unaware of when and what might happen. Unsuspecting victims are often struck violently without warning causing extreme shock and panic to settle in. Street attackers spend time assuring they have a distinct advantage over their victims because they SURELY don't want to fight. So one must first determine if the system they are training in is geared toward having a "fair fight", or surviving a random street attack.

Krav Maga is directed more toward real street situations, however, sometimes KM instructors teach more fighting and less concepts to survive a street attack. Self Defense begins with awareness and a heavy concentration on avoiding dangerous encounters. When all else fails then YOU MUST ATTACK FIRST WITH DEADLY INTENT! You never want to fight your attacker! Even in Krava Maga these rules of self defense get broken by some instructors.

Here's a good test to measure if your Self Defense program is taking a real approach to dealing with "the street" or a "fair fight":

If some say 90% of fights go to the ground, then what does that say about Self Defense?

The correct answer is Self Defense is NOT GROUND FIGHTING and should never go to the ground. (I've seen this mistake made by some Krav Maga instructors.)

Yes, one may end up on the ground if things go drastically wrong. In that case, you want to be able to do something if you were put in that situation. But, although the ground maybe a good position to be in during a "fair fight", it's an extremely dangerous position to be in during a violent attack. The additional supporting attackers will have their way with you. (And yes, there will certainly be others!)

(PLEASE NOTE: Untrained individuals naturally bite when grappled. Trained grapplers consider this a dishonorable practice and are conditioned not to bite)

Conclusion:

The information is more important than the style or the name of the system. Many Kung Fu and other traditional schools blend Self Defense concepts in their programs. Kicks, Punches, blocks etc. are common in martial arts and Self Defense Systems. When and what targets to strike to end the encounter is more important than the name of a style. Developing keen awareness to avoid dangerous situations should be paramount in the training system. Whether it be Krav Maga or anything else, should not trouble you. If you feel it's teaching you how to get home safely, enjoy it and keep training.

AJSire

Jeet Kune Do - Krav Maga - Kung Fu - Ju Jitsu

Edited by AJsire

Goshi Shun System , Naga Suryu System

Gilliam Martial Arts