• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Krav Maga vs Kung Fu (real life situation/Self Defence)

Haha, no. I actually didn't post because I was in class and the teacher seemed annoyed when she saw my screen. I didn't get back to this until you had said it. It is very true though. Chinese styles are FAR too distinctive to compare them all in one big lump. Also, I don't much like calling them kung fu in the first place. I just put up with it because it is the term most are used to.

*Edit - Whoohoo! Blue belt gained via this post!*

36 styles of danger

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any style can be deadly its how you use it there are styles in kung fu that are very similar to KM both can be used effectivly for self defense

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

Let's see what I would do with my Choy Lay Fut in a one-one-one confrontation --

Kick them in the groin, close in, jam their movements, then unleash as many pantherfists, elbows and knees to their eyes, throat, face, ribs, muscles, etc, etc, etc. . . . .

And trust me pantherfists hurt like a mother.

i really don't understand these questions.

at the heart of all martial arts, you learn to hit someone and learn to not get hit.

ignore the fussy things and that is all you do.

whether or not you are any good at it really does depend on how hard you train and test yourself.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

And trust me patherfists hurt like a mother.

LOL :lol:

We call them leopard fists & you aren't kidding. Most would-be-attacks are going down real quick hit with such a painful strike.

In CLF you learn what we call the Rolling Panthers, basically just repeating leopard fists over and over again. Not effective in sparring, but painful without gloves and such.

In actuality, lots of stabbing/drilling punches are severely limited in the ring. Which is why alot of kung fu guys can't do as well as they potentially could. . . ... . . I mean, elbows aren't padded, but you can't use a panther or phoenix eye.

Which is why my Sihing (muay thai guy) said that in the ring you have to modify kung fu quite a bit to be able to do well. Especially if you don't want to revert to watered-down kickboxing (which I refuse to do).

• 4 weeks later...
In this day and age of escalting violence one must learn how to defend himself effectively. What are the similarities and differences between Krav Maga and Kung fu(be it Northern or southern/hard or soft style)? How do each benefit on a long and short term bases in terms of self defence? And finally which is most effective in real life/ street situations?

When I say real life/self defence situation I mean if someone wanted to hurt you or a family member. And it was "kill or be killed" which is more effective?

There isn't anything I've seen in Krav Maga that I haven't seen before in Hung Ga. I think both are good for self defense when properly trained.

There is no short term learning Hung Ga, it takes time to develop the foundation & skills. Of course I'm biased, there is a method to the madness. I have continued to benefit from it's training method. So I don't see it as a weakness. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Most effective technique is a matter of opinion that can't be honestly answered.

• 3 weeks later...
i really don't understand these questions.

at the heart of all martial arts, you learn to hit someone and learn to not get hit.

ignore the fussy things and that is all you do.

whether or not you are any good at it really does depend on how hard you train and test yourself.

That is a Very good post And a very good point. :D

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

whether or not you are any good at it really does depend on how hard you train and test yourself

YES. Who would win? The one who learned his style WELL will win.

Personally, if you ask me, probably 90% of those who do "a little" KM will whup up on 90% of those who do "a little" gung fu, and I have seen large, beer-gutted cops with KM training have gung fu/karate/TKD practitioners on the ground in a jointlock in about 2 seconds flat...

On the other hand, if the gung fu practitioner is truly skilled and dedicated and practices his art diligently as opposed to the cop who doesn't train hardly at all to maintain his KM skills... I wouldn't wanna be that cop.

Let's remember, this thread isn't this art vs. some other art. It is for discussing the differences between the two - not which would beat the other.

Thanks.