• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Krav Maga vs Kung Fu (real life situation/Self Defence)

In this day and age of escalting violence one must learn how to defend himself effectively. What are the similarities and differences between Krav Maga and Kung fu(be it Northern or southern/hard or soft style)? How do each benefit on a long and short term bases in terms of self defence? And finally which is most effective in real life/ street situations?

When I say real life/self defence situation I mean if someone wanted to hurt you or a family member. And it was "kill or be killed" which is more effective?

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go another style vs. style thread lol...J/k..

Well I have seen some students doing southern praying mantis a long time ago. I can tell you there are almost no simularities between that and KM. They are different in that it appers kung fu would take much longer to learn and to develop usuable skills then KM. Km works from much more natural stances and works off of instincts. Praying mantis from what I have seen works off of what seems to be some rather unnatural stances and I havent seen any kind of grappling or groundwork in it either. I can't speak for all kung fu styles however. I have seen some Bai Kai Kung Fu and I thought that was a little more realistic for personal defence though. If I weren't doing the styles I am now, I wouldnt mind learning that. It also inclused grappling which is helpful to know.

"You know the best thing about pain? It let's you know you're not dead yet!"

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

This isn't so much a style vs style who would win thread? its more of which style is more useful for street defence. So far what I am getting is KM is better for street defence. But then what is Kung Fu good for?

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.

oi, WHAT kung fu style?

That's like asking, "which is better, an apple or a vegetable?"

Answer is: depends on what vegetable... and how you intend on utilizing it.

edit: No, actually, it depends more on how you study and how much emphasis you place on conditioning.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Say eagle claw kung fu. Its is not a which style would win thread it is a which is more effective for streetfighting/real situations in the short and long term?

KM is more deadly isn't it?

It doesnt matter how many "deadly" techniques a system/ style has if the practitioner cant use them effectively.

Techniques regarded as "safe" such as punches, kicks, chokes, or joint locks can have the same effects as those techniques labeled "deadly"

If I throw a punch and knock you out, I have the option of stomping you to death afterwards, yielding the same effect as say, a move designed to break your neck. The same could be said for a choke, all one would need to do is hold on after your opponent passes out.

All techniques taught can have deadly consequences. Basically put, when people talk about "deadly" techinques vs "safe" techniques they're referring to techniques that can be safely use in sparring (ex: chokes)vs those that can not (ex: eye gouge)

oi, WHAT kung fu style?

That's like asking, "which is better, an apple or a vegetable?"

Answer is: depends on what vegetable... and how you intend on utilizing it.

I almost said it, but I knew someone could say it better for me. You never let me down Warlock!

36 styles of danger