• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The essence of GoJu...

Angus

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well man, all karate has kata. Kata is basically the essence of Karate. I'm in Albury, right on the NSW, VIC border.

Hmmmm..... i met a bloke called David Bell who runs Zen Go Shu Karate, and he's based in newcastle with a 5th Dan in Goju Ryu. Zen Go Shu is a pretty hard style. It WAS actually a part of the Zen Do Kai/Bob Jones organisation up until about 15 years ago when Davie split from the group due to some 'political' reason. Are u sure that the bloke ur friend goes to is 6th dan in Goju? Cos this could be the same fellow running Goju Ryu classes.

Otherwise the instructor of the class has obviously come to his senses and abandoned the traditional ways of Goju Ryu but kept the name.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

::edit:: Edited by Bon

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

18 to train? WTF? That's nuts!! Crazy!! Lunacy i tell u!

Yeah, i did a crash course in BJJ/ground defence and it absolutely rox0rs!! It's a lot better than Judo from a realism/efficiency perspective cos Judo's more of a sport nowadays. It still teaches u to grapple though, and that is VERY important.

My BJJ training was kind of a 4 day a week, 2 hour a day thing for 3/4 months. I'm no expert but all i seriously wated was some ground defence, and i learned that after the first week.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The reason your instructor was making you practice techniques repeatedly hard (go), and soft (ju) is because you must repeat each movement, strike, and counter in Goju practicing it this way seperately so that ultimately you will be able to combine these two ways so that every technique is, "Goju". for example when executing a punch you will have great speed in the first part of the punch and in the last bit of the punch you will have the power to delivery a knockout blow.

"The mind is one with heaven and earth."