• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The essence of GoJu...

Angus

So i was at Karate last night and some o might know that i study the GoJu or hard/soft system of karate. Last night we were doing these drills of like stances and punches and stuff and the sensei would make us do them in both dynamic tension (like sanchin kata) and like really soft (but not so soft that our form is bad).

I was wondering if anyone could explain this form of teaching to me. Like does it teach you contro over you muscles or what?

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Probably trying to instill the technique into your muscle memory while at the same time teaching you to relax so you can be quick with the movements. Being stiff and rigid in form only makes you slower.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Exactly. The hard then soft way is for your body to give more power and then quickly go to the next technique.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

I like the Essence of Emeril. He has a great cooking show!

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Ahh cool, now i understand. I just didn't know what was the go with doing it fast and hard and then slow and soft, and then soft and hard and fast and soft etc etc..

• 1 month later...

When something is done slow in goju it usually means that it is something extremely important.

In addition, when you are practicing the movement soft this is suppose to increase your internal strength.

Furthermore, goju means hard and soft for many reasons. When the opponent strikes you evade (soft) but you strike (hard).

• 3 months later...

Angus,

I just want to start out by saying that I think that it is great that you study Goju Ryu. I do too. The soft and high tension excersises are to show that the arts can be used in a very fluid serene way or you can use it for power, (depending on the situation). It is important that do these drills to hone in on the essence of the hard soft system. :karate:

- Joe Cooke

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

Sorry man, i don't study it anymore - i got sick of its unrealistic approach. I suppose it would be an effective fighting system if we were living in 18th century Japan or something, but it's got no place in today's society unless u wanna do kata competition.

Um... righto, where to start... Firstly let me tell u that this was probably not a McDojo and was in all actuality Goju at its best. I was studying under the highest ranked Goju Ryu instructor in Australia, whose name is Sal Ebanez. He's a 7th dan bloke.

right, these aren't in any specific order, they're just here to help me count.

1 - kata was done every night except the one sparring night (in which we also did sanchin kata) per week.

2 - i never once did bunkai.

3 - the sparring was largely non-contact, low guard, and no kicks to the legs.

4 - the higher ranking belts did not know how to do effective wrist locks/escape techniques/rolls/breakfalls

5 - the stances were extremely outdated, and there was no set self defence syllabus

6 - there were 12 year olds with black belts, also expected to teach some classes.

7 - When drilling kicks we were to have our hands by our sides, and no guard. The sensei (second in charge) told me that u don't use your arms when you're kicking. I could have started an argument but it would have been pointless.

8 - i let some black belts beat me in touch sparring, and they walked off. Afterwards i could hear them in the change rooms bagging me and saying stuff like "so much for being a kickboxer, he spars like a girl". I would have smacked their butts but i was outnumbered and some of them were BIG. Plus there was no point. I would have liked to have put a face to the voice though, cos i couldn't make it out properly, and then ask him to put on the gloves and mouthguards for a full contact elbow/knees/leg-kick NHB spar.

9 - not only did they use outdated workout techniques, but some of the stuff was dangerous, causing haematonins (patches of internal bleeding) on the arms and doing weird pushups which could, if u slipped, break your wrist.

There, i think that's about it.