• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Forgeting stuff when going to training

darkness

I forgot my belt and my sensei didn't let me practice. Same thing if you forget your gi.

I find that to be a bit militant. People forget things, and if they are paying me for lessons, denying them the lessons as "punishment" for something that was an accident doesn't teach them anything at all other than to convince them that I am not a balanced person.

I personally prefer to train in a t-shirt and shorts without the gi. I find the popping noise that the gi makes causes me to get complacent thinking that my techniques sound and look fast and snappy. I don't mind if a student forgets their stuff. As an instructor, I always kept spare black belts of mine on hand for students to wear when they forgot their belts, and I used to keep spare uniforms in the club too. So, when they forgot, I just let them put on my old, worn-out stuff and roll up the sleeves or whatever and get a workout.

I try to remember that I am not Funakoshi and these students are not going off to World War II to fight and die for the Emperor. So, the training really doesn't need to be that militaristic to for them to get the point, imo.

When I forgot my belt last week, I thought I wasn't able to join, so I sat on the floor.

Sensei then asked me if I had forgotten my belt because he saw my gestures to another. I was telling another I had forgotten my belt with my hands cause I don't like to talk when the room is silent.

He then asked me if I had my Gi, I said yes.

He said it was o.k. :brow:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

I don't think I have ever forgotten anything but when I first started training I put my gi top inside-out. It felt wierd, too.

McNerny :)

A good technique is beautiful but a beautiful technique is not always good.

-Hirokazu Kanazawa

We had a brown belt forget his gi after travelling 4 hours to get to a karate camp. I don't know what he packed because about the only thing you need at a training camp is your gi.

Wow that would suck, what was the result?

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

well, we are human...but i try not to forget things as a manner of self disapline, respect for myself and others and a matter of routine to help with other aspects of life and always remembering important things.

i have come close to almost getting to class and realizing i've left something behind. usually it's because it's not right in front of my face from my usual preparings. (so it's not forgotten) nevertheless, it happens.

But i go early enough that there is enough time to go back for whatever i need. never forget my belt though, it's always with my gi, and can't forget my gi, it's part of karate. i love it too much to forget anyway.

i may forget to wash it before class but not to bring it. i have forgotten like june1 said; a sports bra if i had to pack for the whole days worth of stuff in the morning, or a last minuite change of plans. like i said, we're only human.

Do your best to respect your school and be mindful of things that are nessesary. Though my sensei would send the people who actually have forgotten their uniform or belt to the begining rank of the students, even if they're a high belt, they still go to the end. Not too sure what he does with the kids when this happens, so i couldn't say.

As for doing extra push-ups and crunches; that'd be only if you are late to class. there are some good people at my dojo and are willing to lend out an extra gi or belt. oh, come to think of it i've gone to class unexpected, and waiting for my uniform to be delivered by a fellow classmate, who was late. i waited till he got there and we were both late. but at least i was not late AND without a gi.

Oh, and come to think of it i have forgotten my mouthpeice before, though we don't spar everyday, i've learned to make it an everyday nessesity.

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"