• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How to execute the thai kick?

I'm a boxer and I wanna start kicking soon. I did Taekwondo for two years, about 3 years ago. Even though I havent done it in 3 years I'm still accustomed to the taekwondo kick. I know the taekwondo kick and thai kick are very different, roundhouse kick that is. So can someone explain to me how to execute the thai kick. I see a lot of thai fighters hitting with the shin, is it ok to hit with the instep, since thats how I did it for so long? Thanks in advance, kickers.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In karate we do round house kicks with the ball of the foot case its more of a snapping action but i would assume its ok to kick with the instep. Its not the traditional thai kick, but it works. I mean if you go to a class they might do condition for the shins so you will get used to hitting with the shins, but just do whatever you feel is right.

Focus

umm no... thats not ok its not even a thai kick

when you do a Muay Thai round house there is no snap in stead you basicly swing your leg (not clumsily) and at the last moment turn your hip over and :dead leg: the target with your shin, the instep is to be used at range to hit the outer and inner thigh but there is more power in your shins and it is safer because of the chance of cracking the bones in your instep.

AMITABHA

Fist visible Strike invisible

Yeah, i dont really know much about muay thai, and i didnt want to say that tae kwon do was doing the kick wrong with the instep, but if i were to giv emy hoenst opinion, an instep kick could easily damage your foot, so i wouldnt recomend it.

Focus

practice both thai and the snap karate roundhouse kicks. though i do find that the thai kick has so much more power my cousin though he was hard and asked me 2 kick him in the leg when he was drunk i didnt do my hardest but he moved about 2 meters towards the direction my leg was going and then walked in a circle and sat on a step. damn i wont be doing that 2 anyone again (unless its the a real fight or in the ring) but that just showed me how much power the thai kick has comapred to the karate kick.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

the thai kick sounds a bit strange to me becuase im used to snapping i suppose you can grab the leg in muai thai whigh makes it bad in street situations as someone can just grab your leg however it is much better in competition and muai thai fights rule!!

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

yeah i found it strange to when i first start doing it i was used to the karate kick but its no where near as powerful.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.