• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The "way" is in you not only in the martial art

I think that we can find our way (a spiritual path) inside of us and not only in the martial art. I practiced Shorinji Kempo and Kung-Fu, two disciplines that have a very good spiritual training but it didn't work with me. I tried to concentrate, to follow the exercises with patience and... nothing. I felt that there was something missing.

Then I started doing Muay Thai and despite the trainning doesn't have spiritual part I feel that I'm doing it by myself with no extra exercises. I'm not saying that this style is better than others I'm only trying to say that sometimes the way is inside of you or in a more agressive martial art and not only in Chi exercises or in martial arts too philosophical.

What do you think?

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Good post. IT wasnt extremely long, but its was meaningful and nice thing. I think that if what you want to find is a spiritual path, you will find it eventually whether you take a spiritual martial art or not. Also if you are willing to embrace some of the spiritual concepts in martial arts you might achieve it faster. Well thats probably me just going in the same direction as you as i enjoy that part and you enjoy the muay thai. I think if you do what you want, you will eventualyl find a spiritual path too.

Focus

I agree with you in alot of ways, i think the more agressive martial art can stimulate a fighting spirit or stimulate your feelings of martial arts in different ways and i think alot of different people get activated in different ways. Thats an interesting topic you brought up...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Thanks, I remembered to post about this issue because a lot of people still think that martial arts like Muay Thai or Kickboxing are only agressive and physical... and they are that!! but they can also help to develop a strong spirit because I think that everything is relative and everything depends on you

Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water...

In my opinion fighting and spirituality are integrally connected and have been throughout history. There is reason for this. I think by actually practicing a fighting art you may progress faster in all areas. Sometimes trying to do just the spiritual side actually impedes it's progress.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.