• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu katas.

Smitty

I guess the question of strengthening your abs with Sanchin can be phrased as - if you take a punch to the same area of your body enough times, does it strengthen?

Without strikes, you could ask the question as, by tightening your muscles, as you do in Sanchin, does that strengthen them?

I would say yes. To what extent, however, I don't know.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sanchin is designed for preparing your body against attacks. It is the concentrated practice of taking blows, so that in regular training you body and mind react accordingly.

It is a qi exercise or training tool by which a person connects their mental training with their physical training, involving endurance, qi focus, skeletal focus, muscular focus, and mental focus as they learn to absorb the energy, and then redirect it. Like all kata it helps develop both the mental and physical aspects of the art.

This is why sanchin is the first kata learned, or should be.

It goes beyond strength training.

Thusly, all Goju Ryu kata's should or could use the techniques found in sanchin.

Those are my brief thoughts!

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Sure... I was just sharing.

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

As many have said, sanchin is the basis of Goju Ryu. This Kata serves to promote proper breathing, Kime(shime), focus and great power as well as tremendous resistance to body blows and strikes with continued practice.

It is the three battles of body, mind and spirit. When a person can bring all three beneath one umbrella of concentration, they in turn bring the battle to a close, and harmony is the result.

I read this along time ago, and think it is relevant here:

"Sanchin kata is classed as a Heishugata, meaning that is literally a 'closed-hand kata'. This does not mean that the kata is performed with the hands closed at all times! It implies that the body is in a constant state of tension throughout the kata. Therefore the muscles are 'closed' or better still contracted. Only on completion of the kata does the body return to it's normal state. During the entire execution of the kata the body is in a constant state of tension and the tanden is the focus of concentration. This is not an easy task, however, with correct teaching and training, the benefits of Sanchin training are enormous. Your stamina, physical strength and breath control are enhanced. Tensho kata is also classed as a Heishugata.

The original version was Higaonna Kanryo Sensei Sanchin kata, which was executed with three steps forward, a 180º turn, four steps in that direction, another 180º turn, one step forward and then one step backwards. This version of Sanchin Kata was practiced and taught by another of Higaonna Kanryo Sensei's senior student Juhatsu Kyoda (1887 - ). Kyoda Sensei was the founder of To'on Ryu Karate-Doh.

Miyagi Sensei developed his version of Sanchin kata with no turns, but with three steps forwards and two steps backwards. http://www.eastcoast.co.za/buddy/shimetesting.html"

Without proper Shime, sanchin is just a breathing, and dynamic tension kata.

The following shows what it means to apply proper shime.

"The job of the Sensei is to assist the student being tested, to be aware and to focus and tighten on various muscle groups whilst performing the hand and arm movements, all at the same time. Full power Sanchin training should never be performed if one is unwell, however, light, no-powered, good form and deep, light breathing is very refreshing. Children should also never perform full-powered, hard Sanchin training, and, they should also never be tested as rigorous as a senior adult student would. Slaps and kicks should be replaced by a pressing, feeling action to the muscles and areas to be concentrated on. Young or old, well or unwell, form must never be sacrificed for power. The testing on a student new to Sanchin must be a pressing and feeling one - no slapping etc. This would assist greatly in making the student more aware and thus develop good habit for beneficial Sanchin training.

SUGGESTED GUIDE FOR CORRECT SANCHIN SHIMÉ TESTING These should always be performed in the same sequence and once completed another cycle must be administered.

Start by moving to the rear of the student and down at the soles of the feet and feel the inside edge of the feet to check that the arches of the soles are not raised. Do the same with the outside edge of the feet.

Grab the ankles to assist the student in rooting his stance to the floor and to concentrate power into his legs and feet.

Place your toe in front of the students toe and press your knee onto his knee, trying to force it backwards. The knee should not move back, this ensures that the feet are rooted to the floor and the quadriceps (thigh) muscles are activated. Care must be exercised that too much or erratic pressure is not applied - a firm and consistent pressure would be the right blend.

Slap against the side of the thighs at two short intervals so that concentration of power is focused here and locked in.

Apply the same slaps to the buttock muscles and kick up gently but firmly between the students legs. This ensure that the muscles inside the thighs are also focused and tightened.

Place you palm against his stomach and firmly gently against the tanden.

Check that the students spine is straight by running your hand up along it to the base of the neck. Then with the palm of your hand press at regular intervals against the students back so that focus is also maintained here.

Move up the shoulders and firstly placed your hands on them so that the students tightens the muscle in that location. Then slap down firmly making sure that you stay clear of the neck and its immediate surrounds.

Reverse the procedure that was used to ensure that the spine was straight, by starting at the neck and running your hand down the spine the approximately its base

Go around to face the student and feel the tanden again, making sure that strength is focus here as well.

As the student extends his arm on punching, add resistance by placing you palm heel on the fist and firmly pushing against the punch. Do not add too much resistance so as to hamper the students posture and concentration.

When the student blocks chudan uke, apply firm resistance to that as well. When the students performs morote osae uke and mawashi uke apply pressure using both of your hands and adding equal resistance to both the students hands

Continually observe the students face and skin color and stop the students if signs of undue stress or pressure is noticed. The teachers slaps and kicks should be firm but never damaging.

Whilst the teacher is applying the testing he must also observe that the students breathing is co-ordinated with his movements.

Continue the cycle by going back to the soles of the feet and starting the procedure again.

The purpose of shimé testing is also focus on parts of the body that is not actively being used and not to forget about them, thus enabling one to concentrate and focus on the whole body at the same time. http://www.eastcoast.co.za/buddy/shimetesting.html"

The closest equivalent to sanchin in chinese kung fu, is 3 circle standing tree meditation, or Zhua Zhuang. Which has alot to do with the mental relaxation aspects along with breathing and proper body dynamics.

----------------

Hope that helps...

We learned it at the beginning prior to Green Belt. At least I did. It depends on the instructor. If I were to teach it now, I would do so from day one, just as I as teach Qigong from day one.

We learned it at the beginning prior to Green Belt. At least I did. It depends on the instructor. If I were to teach it now, I would do so from day one, just as I as teach Qigong from day one.

I guess I've never seen a group of white belts practice it.As for me they have randomly taught it to me,so I don't know it very well.
https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu