• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu katas.

Smitty

So far as sanchin goes, we did one 180 degree turn to the rear, and then one turn back to facing the original direction.

The kata of Goju-ryu are broadly divided into: Sanchin (basics), Kaishu-gata (open hand forms), and Heishu-gata (closed hand forms). The traditional kata passed down from Kanryo Higaonna to the present include: Sanchin, Saifa, Seiunchin, Shisochin, Sanseiryu, Seipai, Kururunfa, Seisan, and Suparinpe (or Pecchurin).

In addition to such traditional kata, Goju-ryu has added Kokumin Fukyugata, a series of kata created by Chojun Miyagi for the nationwide popularization of the school-Gekisai I, Gekisai II and Tensho-which complete the kata of Goju-ryu for most schools.

In the Okinawan Goju Ryu (sho rei kan) I learned, we were taught:

Beginning Kata Dai Ichi

Beginning Kata Dai Ni

Gekisai Dai Ichi Smash and Destroy #1

Gekisai Dai Ni Smash and Destroy #2

Sanchin Three Battles

Tensho Rotating Palm

Seiunchin To Pull in and Battle

Saifa Smash and Tear

Sanseiru Thirty-six

Shisochin Four direction Battle

Seisan Thirteen

Seipai EighteenKururunfa

Suparinpei (Suparimpei) One hundred-eight

Along with Kumite, and Bunkai, and sparring techniques, jujutsu, etc.

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thesasafras - you may want to reference Seikichi Toguchi's book for this.

I checked on this one and Miyagi did not create his own Sanchin kata, he made a change to it during a period before he died when he was ill. He changed Sanchin in which the student would not turn his back on him, feeling that was disrespectful. So for a brief period of Miyagi's instruction, he changed Sanchin where there were no turns at all.

After Miyagi died, Toguchi and the other senior students of Miyagi changed it back to it's original form, the same style they learned from Miyagi initially, the same style as Higashionna.

Until I read otherwise from one of the masters themselves, that's what I'm going with.

my lineage comes from toguchi. Sanchin holds a dear place in my heart, though I do not practice it any more, I can still remember it to this day, as it is burned into my body. It was fun at the time.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

To say it "toughens up your body" is an odd way to put it and I'm not even sure how to answer that.

I can see how you might say that because if you've never done it before, it might look like the person is getting the crap beat out of them while doing a kata. But as the participant, your focus is not on the strikes, but concentration on the kata itself and the breathing and stances.

well I didn't really mean it by having your sensei punch and kick you to make sure you do it right.i meant it just by the way it's performed.

Well, provided you do it correctly, certainly you're still getting a benefit from Sanchin even if you don't take strikes. But keep in mind that taking strikes during Sanchin is a traditional part of the kata.

I just have a hard time saying you'll "toughen up your body" by simply going through it without strikes, but that would sound like I'm undervaluing the kata. So as a blanket statement I'll say sure - your body will be tougher as a result of Sanchin, but not if you're doing it wrong.