Smitty

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else practice the white crane kata Hakatsura (sp?) or whatever it's called as part of their Goju training?

It is called Hakutsuru

Haku = white 白

Tsuru = crane 鶴

白鶴

I believe it originally comes from China - it is "the form" of the White Crane Quan Fa, if I am not mistaken. Most of the Goju stuff is originaly Naha's system of karate. The Shotokan stuff is almost entirely Shorin stuff (heavily Japanified). Shito-Ryu is a cross between the two.

Goju style kata that I know of are

Seisan

Sanchin

Seipai

Suparinpei

Shisochin

etc.

I've read before that the origin of most of the kata is China - that each of them is the single form that represents a particular system. Since the Chinese weren't too big on sticking to just one system, they tended to have many systems that were deep and narrow. Each one was based on one person's particular fighting ability.

Each of the kata in Japanese/Okinawan karate usually could be said to come from the Chinese town across from Okinawa that the Okinawans visited all the time.

I've read that the Shorin style kata represent one period of exchange, and the Naha style (Goju) are a more modern version of the Chinese systems.

I've seen Goju Hakutsuru done by Sensei Kimo Wall at a karate camp. He taught several seminars on it, actually.

That being said, I do a different version of Hakutsuru...

Edit: Gee, I guess that was off-topic as I'm not a Goju Ryu guy...oh well...

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

Goju-ryu kata

Gekisai Dai Ichi

Gekisai Dai Ni

Saifa

Seiyunchin

Shisoshin

Sanseru

Sepai

Kururunfa

Seisan

Suparinpei

Sanchin

Tensho

Also the Taikyoku series could be three more kata.Goju doesn't have the Naihanchi series in it's normal curriculum making it the only Okinawan karate system that doesn't.

:karate:

A blackbelt is not the beginning,it's a piece of cloth,that's all.

Goju doesn't have the Naihanchi series in it's normal curriculum making it the only Okinawan karate system that doesn't.

That is far from being accurate. Goju isn't the only style that doesn't have it on Okinawa, or even close to being the only one.

If you can please name those 12 katas because in my school we have more than 12....tnks!
check this website out:

http://www.samuraimartialsports.com/goju%20kata.htm

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Goju doesn't have the Naihanchi series in it's normal curriculum making it the only Okinawan karate system that doesn't.

That is far from being accurate. Goju isn't the only style that doesn't have it on Okinawa, or even close to being the only one.

I meant of the four main Okinawan styles.

So Goju is the only one out of the four main Okinawan styles that doesn't have Naihanchi. Other than Uechi Ryu, of course...

So Goju is the only one out of the four main Okinawan styles that doesn't have Naihanchi. Other than Uechi Ryu, of course...

Goju,Shotokan,Wado -ryu,and Shorin-ryu.

Uechi ryu is Chinese/Okinawan,but we can keep arguing if it suits you. :brow:

Hell,I might be misinformed ...or just wrong anyway. :o

Uechi ryu is Chinese/Okinawan,but we can keep arguing if it suits you. :brow:

Yes, let's. It is the point of a forum, anyway, isn't it? To share opposing points of view to learn from?

You mentioned Goju, Shotokan, Wado and Shorin. Those are not the 4 main Okinawan styles. Those are the four main Japanese karate styles. Sort of. Shito-Ryu is usually accepted as the fourth, rather than Shorin. So it is more like: Goju, Shotokan, Wado and Shito Ryu are the 4 main Japanese styles.

Even so, that isn't what you said. We will follow your trail of information...

So you said "only Okinawan karate system." I corrected you on this, to which you replied:

Then I mentioned Uechi Ryu, which is one of the 4 main Okinawan styles, the others being Shito and Shorin Ryu. In other words, half of the main Okinawan styles (even if there are only 4 "main" styles) do not have Naihanchi. Not to mention many of the others. To this, you answered:

Uechi ryu is Chinese/Okinawan,but we can keep arguing if it suits you.

Hell,I might be misinformed ...or just wrong anyway.

Yes, I believe the last line is appropriate. Obviously, you never meant Japanese styles, as you continually used the word "Okinawan", yet you cite an almost "4 main Japanese styles" framework as justification for your argument.

So...again, I'm not taking this personally and I hope you aren't. I just tend not to let people get away with flawed excuses or let them continue along an incorrect line of argument. I expect others to do the same for me. If I seemed overly persistent, it is because of this. That, and I have recently been involved in many debates over controversial issues where someone would always try to weasel out of admitting their argument was wrong by citing wrong facts (which I would investigate) or trying to change the direction...so that is more of what you are seeing...