• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Goju Ryu katas.

Smitty

Slightly, sure.

To me, so long as an organization or school teaches (preserves) the original goju ryu kata throug Myagi, along with the philosophy of Goju Ryu, and principles of fighting specific to Goju Ryu, then that is the bare minimum in which to preserve the art itself.

There will be variances in certain techniques.

However, when one something doesn't work (as in the past), or people continue getting hurt, then usually that means someone has deviated from the original intent of the style.

When executing techniques, the end result should be so close, that only the Master's can tell the difference. That's what it means to be authentic as time goes on.

Opinions will vary, but are still respected. Semtantics are just that. Semantics.

Syllabus order has alot to do with personal training style, and the instructors own capacity to teach, and ascertain what is working and what is not.

We reap what we sow.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i do Shotokan but we have katas from other Karate styles in our school..We have(from what i remember) ShihoHai and Niseishi Sho(are taught at orange belt) Sanchin(taught at red belt) a version of Taikyoku(taught at purple) and a kata i dont know much about called Shuta ru..plus all the standard shotokan katas

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

"yes our orginization doesnt really teach katas till green belt"

why?in my school the started teaching me kata at white belt since I had previous experience in another style.Then for really new people to martial arts kata was at yellow belt.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

I feel somewhat lucky I guess, as in our school there are at least 23 katas practiced as part of the curriculum. We have katas that are taught before and after the Gekisai Kata that serve as transitional kata to prepare students for the koryu forms.

Malanovaus

Okinawan Goju-Ryu

Karate ni sente nashi

The answers are on the floor

We also used Kokumin Fukyugata, the series of kata created by Chojun Miyagi, which included, Gekisai I, Gekisai II and Tensho.

Prior to the Fukyugata set, we had to learn Tando Kata Dai Ichi and Dai Ni.

Along the way we also had the traditional kata, kumite, bunkai, and sparring techniques.

The traditional kata included: Sanchin, Saifa, Seiunchin, Shisochin, Sanseiryu, Seipai, Kururunfa, Seisan, and Suparinpe (or Pecchurin).

To see a suparinpe in action, follow this link, and choose your media preference.

http://

http://www.wonder-okinawa.jp/023/eng/007/002/001.html

It is performed by Sensei Morio Higaonna - 9th Dan Goju Ryu - Japan.

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

"I feel somewhat lucky I guess, as in our school there are at least 23 katas practiced as part of the curriculum. We have katas that are taught before and after the Gekisai Kata that serve as transitional kata to prepare students for the koryu forms."

Why do you have 23 katas?Goju Ryu is supposed to have 12 katas.Unless you have a bunch of other katas from other styles.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

Goju Boi,

I was thinking that myself.

There are many styles of Goju. If you founded XYZ Goju-Ryu, it's considered acceptable, and even encouraged to add kata and other elements to "your" style.

As long as nothing is taken away from the original style, it's still Goju. Peter Urban did that and so did other founders of Goju styles.