• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just started

kheb3350

Just wanted to say 'hi'. Just started Shotakan Karate 3 weeks ago and although everytime I go, it reminds me how much I've got to learn, I've been enjoying it so far - looking forward to tomorrows lesson.

I wore my gi for the first time to Saturday's lesson and I thought I'd be quite conscious - am slightly concerned it is too big, and is quite stiff, but perhaps they are all like that in the beginning.

I have been only going once a week, and practicing for 20 minutes every other day, but will start going twice a week tomorrow. Is this enough or should I be aiming to go more - quite difficult because I don't have a car?

Oh, and no-one took a blind bit of notice of my gi, apart from some random kids who made 'hayah' noises at me as I left the changing room. Kids will be kids.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats on your studies. You'll get use to the gi. Roll the sleves up near your elbows. This will help some. I even roll the pants legs up some. After a few washes, they'll start to shrink. MA is self paced. You get what you put into it. I attend 3-4 times a week. Probably more now, since I'm switching dojo's and it's right near my house. Also, I train about 90 minutes at home on my off days from class. When I train at home, I stretch, work on Kata's, balance, and strengthening my legs. When I'm not in class, I lift weights for my upper body, and hit my ABS hard! Like I said, you get what you put into it. This has always been a life goal for me to learn, and master a martial art. You need to decided what it is for you, then create your schedule!

Oh.... don't worry about the kids. You're going to find half this world has a maturity level of a 3 year old.

Good luck!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Will try and commit more to this then. Bought a couple of beginners books and have been browsing through them over the last 2 months. I quite like mental/life aspect to it also. It is interesting that, from what I have read, karate is partly about non-confrontation, whilst being based around training for confrontation.

Will try and commit more to this then. Bought a couple of beginners books and have been browsing through them over the last 2 months. I quite like mental/life aspect to it also. It is interesting that, from what I have read, karate is partly about non-confrontation, whilst being based around training for confrontation.

Most martial arts are that way, to tell you the truth. Welcome to the boards!

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

• 3 weeks later...

kheb3350 glad you like it ;)

The gi can be bigger, some use huge karategis and they are still OK. I have one that could be better for a bigger frame than mine (1.70 m and 50 kg), but it was still OK.

It will shrink a bit, and become just a bit softer.

Anyway ... best of luck in your MA journey and thank you for sharing this with us ;)

• 1 month later...