• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

People being awkward/angry towards MA

One option is not to advertise. When I was 14 I was an eagle scout. In my mind then, and in my mind now, that was a good thing. However, I wasn't naive enough to think that I wouldn't endure merciless taunting if I revealed that gem to my fellow classmates. And God help the person who was stupid enough to wear the uniform to school.

The reason I point this out is I'm assuming more than a few of you guys are in high school and this is why you're asking. I am 35, so the social model for interaction for 75% of the people my age is to find something in common with the other person and to present yourself as a good guy, not as a jerk.

That being said, I remember the social model for interaction for 75% of high school aged people, which is to present yourself as being like most others, then to find something different about the other person and to present the other guy as a jerk. Very Lord of the Flies. :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to cover a few points not yet discussed, or just lightly touched:

• Wearing your martial arts clothing to school, even if it's just the shoes, is advertising. There should be no need to do so, so don't.

• The shoes are not actually 'martial art' shoes. I don't believe there are 'any' martial art shoes (although some companies have tried to sell their shoes by giving them martial art brandings or associations). They are more likely slippers that are commonly seen in the ol' martial art movies. So, calling them 'martial art shoes' sort of opens up the door to ridicule.

• When people, who are not practitioners and who are at a stage in their life where they are somewhat insecure (most persons in junior high and high school fall into that category), get told that you know martial arts, suddenly you have violated their personal space. You violated their personal space by mentioning such. For, many persons feel by mentioning such, you are somehow 'challenging them,' stating something like, "i know the martial arts, so don't mess with me." This is one of the reasons those persons who mention they study the martial arts get challenged... because they failed to realize that they were the ones who actually committed the challenge.

• The cutdown about kiddies was, in itself, a counter-challenge. It was a means to put down your confidence in what you practice, so as to undermine the unintentional threat you imposed by your comment. It is much the same as someone saying, "i'm a violent person, respect me," and then the counter-response being, "yeah, i'm sure gerbils find you pretty violent."

• Notice how you feel when a person mentions he is a football player. Some mention it with the specific intent to 'intimidate,' but most do not. Despite this, most of the times it is mentioned, one can feel intimidated... because football is a very violent sport and we are in a very 'non-violent-minded' society. It is the contrast of civilized vs barbaric (which opens up a can of worms for discussion, btw).

To avoid having to 'explain' yourself, or the love for your art, don't volunteer information like this. It's not important that they know, unless they have an interest in the material you study, or wish to study with you. Unlike many other sports or studies, martial arts 'is' about violence, and therefore... you are studying how to commit violence. This, in and of itself, needs to be understood... if you wish to be accepted in a 'civilized' society.

Thank you for reading

Thought a very good post!

Yesterday I went to my Saturday Karate class. I came out of the changing rooms with my karate gi on and, at the same time, a group of kids, about 11-14?, were coming out of a gym having just finished 5 aside football. They mocked me, making fists, and going 'hayah' etc. I just ignored them, they were just being kids. I guess that the 'martial arts' remains slightly othered in Western society. Something that they do in the East and is foreign, whereas, in this case, football would be the safer and more 'English' option.

Just wanted to cover a few points not yet discussed, or just lightly touched:

• [*]Wearing your martial arts clothing to school, even if it's just the shoes, is advertising. There should be no need to do so, so don't.

See, thats the thing, I wasn't waving my feet around in the air for everyone to look at them. I was just sitting on a bench, and she asked what kind they were. I am not going to say "Oh, I cannot tell you."

[*]The shoes are not actually 'martial art' shoes. I don't believe there are 'any' martial art shoes (although some companies have tried to sell their shoes by giving them martial art brandings or associations). They are more likely slippers that are commonly seen in the ol' martial art movies. So, calling them 'martial art shoes' sort of opens up the door to ridicule.

Nope, not slippers. They have laces, and are low-cut around the ankles. They are thin canvas material. They look sort of like the converse, low-cut shoes.

There will always be the Jackie Chans and Jet Li's who will come along and dazzle us with their screen antics. But Bruce Lee was a seeker of knowledge, a true master of the fighting arts and philosophy.

Well i usally get the stereotypical WAHH or Hiah!! when i wear a Bruce Lee tee shirt but other than that its nothing

I've begun just striking the fear of God (well....my fist rather) into people like that. If they're a friend of mine, usually something like that is accompanied by a quick follow-up strike through the chest.

If I don't know the person, or they're just an occasional aquaintence then I usually don't even react and just stare at them with a look of anger/bemusement/apathy combined somehow...(at least thats how I'm told it looks) until they feel stupid and let out a nervous laugh.

Funny thing, is a friend of a friend of mine made a comment referring to me as the resident "shaolin monk" and proceeded to sit into some awkward looking kung fu stance making heavy exhaling breathing sounds. It was his lucky day because I decided on the spot he was more than just an occasional friend, and he got kicked square in the chest, clearing him off his feet :-D

The lesson here kids, is that violence and intimidation is ALWAYS the answer! :)

"Question oneself, before you question others"

Personally, I dont like to tell lots of people about my martial prowess, however, I work with about 3 of my classmates and 2 of them are perfectly comfortable letting everyone know they take MA and Im even a higher rank then they are. I would rather not give the information that Im a MA, rather I would like to see their faces when they hit the ground, should the opportunity arise. So i agree dont advertise, its much funner this way :D

Edited by BLueDevil

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Well no one really cares that I do this. Its just cool to some and others just dont care. ProjectJanus wow im surprised that you got that reaction from kung fu shoes. Where I live girls wear kung fu shoes alot specially during the summer, it was a style for a while.

im G A Y and i love you i W A N K over you EVERY DAY!!!