• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i made the switch

jctkd

from tkd to goju ryu and kombudo, sensai is a 8th dan in goju ryu, and a 6th dan in kombudo, what should i expect different than my tkd class. im excited it is a cery nice school, alot of equipment and weapons im ready to learn

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

OOoooBoy! OK there will be a lot of differences.

First of all you're going to have to completely rethink what kata means. Everything in Goju comes from kata. You will see grappling, striking, taisabaki, and everything in between. Each technique will have at least 10 different meanings.

The footwork and stances will be very different. They are all about being in control and rooted. And they are very good at it. You will quickly learn that taking most fighters to the ground is one thing but taking a Goju fighter to the ground is quite a different prospect. Not that they don't go to the ground, but that they are always on their terms. It's nearly impossible to take balance away from an experienced Goju fighter.

They will likely practice conditioning. Sanchin is huge. Breathing is everything and technique starts slow and in some cases stays slow. They practice Sanchin, many times without a gi top while being pummeled at every imaginable angle. They may start off with light strikes but by the time you get a black belt they are wailing on you as hard as they can. And you'll be able to take it, usually without so much as a bruise once you get there. There are many bruises along the way though.

As far as weapons go, things will be very different there as well. Generally they are very methodological. Everything does something in a very specific way. If he's a 6th dan in Kobudo then he knows his stuff. Expect very purposeful and refined technique that will be applicable with both weapon and empty handed combat.

And he's an 8th dan so you're working with one of the best in the world. Good luck and congratulations!

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Lol .. hope you have fun , you'll discover the differenses yourself , but i think that goju is much better than TKD , thats my opinion though

Is it kombudo or kobudo ??

Moon might shine upon the innocent and the guilty alike

It should probably be kobudo. The fact that his Sensie has different rankings would seem to confirm this.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

I love goju, it'd like to keep with it.

though i may be moving and having to switch to TWD, the very opposite as you jctkd. and i hear that TWD is all legs, no upper boby techniques. i must get used to this i guess. I recommend goju for sure! and it's sounds wonderful that you found a great sensei! good luck!!

KBear

"lick your wounds, anxious for the next ones"