• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where do you look?

When sparring - mid torso between hips and chest. You can usually pick up a "tell" on what's coming next. I hope he is looking at my eyes/face, because I intentionally deceive and do not look directly where I am attacking unless I'm setting him up.

In real life - all around. I need to see what is in the hands and what may come out of pockets. I also want to be aware of additional attackers who may come from any direction.

--

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look my eyes look like they are concetrated at the eyes but im really observing the whole body and my surroundings

White belt for life

"Destroy the enemies power but leave his life"

I try to keep my head level and straight. Eyes become part of the chest is what I've been taught. Like others said, I let my vision do what it needs to do. In other words, if I can't see it looking forward in a one on one situation, I don't need to see it.

• 1 month later...

elbows and knees--they move first and often telegraph a punch or kick. It is a good idea to pay more attention to one or the other depending upon the range or even feint with your eyes.

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.

• 4 weeks later...

In your mind place them within a triangle. Relax and focus on all movement within the triangle.

Do not forget that you are in a triangle as well. That is use your peripheral vision, and mentally focus on the task at hand.

With a partner, begin to teach yourself to move in quickly, while still watching them. Let them use large movements at first, and then make them smaller and smaller. Once you progress far enough, you can read their intent, and efficiently get to them before they get to you.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

Eyes..the best place..u can read a person through their eyes and play mind tricks on them

And they can do the same to you.

Ever walk up towards someone, and you meet their eyes, and you both dodge the same way? twice?

That's because the eyes start to move in the direction you are going to dodge, and the natural inclination is for you to follow. So if their eyes go right, yours go left, and you both move in the same direction. It's the same thing in sparring, etc. The eyes are the easiest thing to fake with.

I personally look towards the lower border of the ribcage or towards the belly button. For most people, that's where their center of gravity is, and that is the hardest part of the body to fake with, because if you move it any significant amount, then your body has to move or you are off balance.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

Of course when I say all movement, this mean begin to teach yourself to not only look at the eyes, but look at foot positioning, look at shoulders, at hands, watch them while they are in motion, does the mouth open, or do they pause or hesitate before throwing a given technique.

Build upon each thing you look at. Until you can subconsciously react to what they are doing.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...

you need to keep a close eye on everything...eyes, hands, minute finger movements, veins in nech/forehead, muscle ticks, foot movement or lack of, fidgeting, calmness, etc...you have to take in the whole picture in order to assess the siuation accurately...don't succumb to 'tunnel vision' or the belief that any particular part of a potential attacker's body will tell you what they are doing...while you look into his eyes, he'll kick you into oblivion, or when you watch her chest, she'll clap an ear...take in the big picture, also your surroundings. Watch for additional threats.

When a man's fortunate time comes, he meets a good friend;

When a man has lost his luck, he meets a beautiful woman.

-anonymous