• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt magazine

I see Black Belt magazine to martial arts, as Spin, or Rolling Stone is to music. They keep up with the latest trends, but don't have alot of deep information. The articles provide an overview of certain martial arts, or people in the MA. The interviews are pretty biographical in nature, not alot of depth. Overall, I would recommend it for a new martial artist as a good source of information, but, other sources will need to be found for more in- depth information.

I totaly agree. For me, I'm not a fan.

More Practice

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Black Belt magazine to martial arts, as Spin, or Rolling Stone is to music. They keep up with the latest trends, but don't have alot of deep information. The articles provide an overview of certain martial arts, or people in the MA. The interviews are pretty biographical in nature, not alot of depth. Overall, I would recommend it for a new martial artist as a good source of information, but, other sources will need to be found for more in- depth information.

I totaly agree. For me, I'm not a fan.

Do you know of any publications that have some Uechi in them. I know of Mattson's website, but I don't know of anything in print. The closest thing I found was a traditional karate publication that had a mention of Gusshi Sensei in it (along with an ad featuring him)

Black belt covers diffrent styles or people in there magazine. What ever the hype is at the time. MMA/UFC/TUF/PrideFC or Krav maga, Dillman, USSD guys or other people or styles.

I agree it isn't really indepth though. Most stuff in there about UFC or MMA in general has already been out on grappling mag a couple of months earlier. So Black belt Mag is behind the times in my opinion.

Used to have a subscription as well, awhile back. I found myself disagreeing with so many of the articles that i eventually stopped giving it much attention. Still, on occasion i catch an article that intrigues me, and purchase a copy. Other than that, i agree with the previous posters. It is commercialized, a tool for advertisers.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Black belt covers diffrent styles or people in there magazine. What ever the hype is at the time. MMA/UFC/TUF/PrideFC or Krav maga, Dillman, USSD guys or other people or styles.

I agree it isn't really indepth though. Most stuff in there about UFC or MMA in general has already been out on grappling mag a couple of months earlier. So Black belt Mag is behind the times in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing BBM. It's just not MY thing.

More Practice

I understand what your saying it isn't my thing either very rarely do I buy a magazine and I never had a subscription. I usually prefer grappling magazine my self because thats what I am into. How ever every now and then I will glace at an article or two in BBM but I usually skim through it real quick and put it back on the shelf unless I see an article or other stuff on it thats worth buying it.

More often then not it isn't worth buying in my opinion.

• 2 months later...