• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I said just knock him out, I don't expect one blow to knock someone out every time. I was just trying to make a point.

You are always in danger of getting hit when your hands move away from your face, which is why when you punch you should have your shoulders shrugged up- the shoulder itself blocks half your face if you do it right. It's like you're looking down your arm aiming a gun. That should be the only time your hands are away, blocking should be done with forarms clinched to head like a football helmet, or maybe a parry where your hand moves but arm really doesn't. (If that's what you're talking about, I misunderstood. But it seems to me you're endorsing the style of blocking that takes your hands far away from your face, which is bad. "Intercepting" punches doesn't work.)

If you're too close to take a full swing, then you're in elbow or clinch range, so do that. You don't have to be more than a foot away to throw a hook. 8 inches is probably enough. Uppercuts can be thrown even closer. The point is, if you're not moving your hips with your punch, you're wasting your time (unless you're throwing a jab- which is not a snap punch, just a fast punch.)

As for elbows, there is a little hip movement, but not much, if you're doing it correctly.

Also, just for the record, I'm not calling WC useless or terrible. I would consider it somewhat good, but pretty limited, and some ideas WC has aren't practical.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are always in danger of getting hit when your hands move away from your face, which is why when you punch you should have your shoulders shrugged up- the shoulder itself blocks half your face if you do it right.

this depends on how you fight.

look at the older generation of thai boxers, half of them do it, half of them don't. all depends on how they fight.

That should be the only time your hands are away, blocking should be done with forarms clinched to head like a football helmet, or maybe a parry where your hand moves but arm really doesn't. (If that's what you're talking about, I misunderstood. But it seems to me you're endorsing the style of blocking that takes your hands far away from your face, which is bad. "Intercepting" punches doesn't work.)

from this, it seems to me that you really have limited knowledge of how wing chun works. i use the weord intercepting becauser taht is the closest to the original chinese term. the original word means something like, to catch/receive/meet/get in the way of. it isn't "block". in reality, the motion really is very small unless something major is happening. in the case of lets say a standard front guard hands position to cover a slight swing, all you do is lift arm about 5-10 degrees and turn the elbow slightly to make the correct angle. again, it is just a minor extension of the arm. it doesn't move from it's covering position at all, instead all it does is move into a better position.

blocking should be done with forarms clinched to head like a football helmet, or maybe a parry where your hand moves but arm really doesn't.

this is the type of blocking that i would hardly ever encourage because it is a fixed thing that puts you on defensive and only on the defensive. it leaves your hand/arm doing to covering/blocking vulnerable to a pinning movement (which a good martial artist can easily turn into taking your balance). the only situation which this really works, is when you are in a controlled fighting match with gloves.

The point is, if you're not moving your hips with your punch, you're wasting your time (unless you're throwing a jab- which is not a snap punch, just a fast punch.)

again, you do not need to rotate your hips to produce an effective punch.

a fast punch? so what's the difference between a jab (fast punch), a snap punch and a wing chun style straight punch?

Also, just for the record, I'm not calling WC useless or terrible. I would consider it somewhat good, but pretty limited, and some ideas WC has aren't practical.

and for the record, i am not saying that you are.

all i can see, is a lot of what people who have a limited knowledge/experience of what wing chun is, says. i also think you are looking at it not in the correct context. a lot of the usual "useless" ideas are often things that deal with questions that aren't normally asked

i.e what if they know what a small circle arm wrap to elbow break is?

problem here is these questions, in basic situations, which is what you are talking about, don't come up, hence they are "useless".

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

I will wade to deep into this but some said earlier that attacking the limbs was stupid. They have never had their limbs attacked by someone who new how and traps and the low kicks of Wing TSun are very effective in creating opportunity for strikes and the unbalacing of an opponent. The straight blast is not the end all attack but most fighters have a hard time with hard and fast centerline attacks. I have watched and trained with MT and weatern boxers who when charges move straight back under strikes. But for me to say which of the styles are better it would be hard. I train in concept of all three and find them to all have strong points and they each can compliment each other.

Survivor

baisc way to make moves work or to gain power. Is by turning and going up or down. basically meaning with the weight. bending the knees letting the hips drop a little bit using your weight helps for power as well as rotation of the hips and the shoulders. Driving pressure from the feet and legs.

there are alot of factors that go into a powerful strikes.

people say this or that. Get a a few good schools of wing chun and have them face people who did equal amount of training as far as time in training goes. Have them go at it and see what happens when its all said and done.

proof is in the pudding.

If both boxing and Wung chun guys are equally leveled in their style.

Wung chun will have much better chance if it's extremly up close with the boxers rhythm disconnected. The strike must be bad enough to take the boxer out with one hit. Boxer will have much better chance if he gets more room to move around and more time for him to blow his punches from outside of Wung chun frontal distance.

Wung chun has even a more difficult time taking on a kick boxing guy. Mui tai the style itself has amazing distance control. Wung chun's foot work will not be able to keep up with the kick boxing guy's movement. When up close the kick boxing guy is even more inner line than normal Wung chun sets. Mui tai's knees and elbows are really tough to slap away and the power behind it is using unstubborn power and trying to block it is extremely stressful if that person is not use things comming up from below waistlines.