• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think if you take a Wing Chun guy and put him to train in full contact, he has a good chance of beating a muay thai guy.

the training most people see are not as complete as people would like it to be for a full contact match since a lot of Wing Chun hits are a seris of hits that include finger strikes to the face, neck and other areas, which you probably wont try against ur sparring partner ;)

The problem with the "deadly strikes in WC" argument is that yes, muay thai do not practice these things. Neither does WC, at least not against a fully resisting opponent where you can execute these techniques with proper power, accuracy, and contact. Most WC schools (I say this from first hand experience) do point of contact drills where they stop strikes like the bil jee before hitting their partner's eye.

The way you train is the way you fight. They train this way, with incorrect distance, timing, and without practice of true target accuracty, that is the way they will execute them. In fact, the practice of this can potentially lead to such bad distance/accuracy habits that perhaps a MT fighter who HASN'T done drills like this may do them better in a real confrontation than a WC fighter who has practiced jabbing the air in front of their partner's eyes.

On the flip side, I have heard of WC schools putting on goggles and jabbing eyes for real, which is far better than the alternative of striking air, but these are few and far in between.

the eye gouge is one of the few strikes you cant use on an unprotected face of your partner/friend, however, WC has a lot of strikes to the body, the face is mostly used as a distraction.

With some good training, a WC guy could be able to stand up(I did say stand up, I did not say beat- that depends on the person) to a MT guy.

Remember it is not all about power, accuracy and speed is better by far- its not the same to kick someone's upper arm as kicking someone's elbow :P -

TOO TRUE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only REAL use for WC I can think of is when, say, you are mounted and they guy is throwing punches at you. In that case, you are stuck in a position very close to one another and you can deflect and do all that weird flowing hands stuff. Standing, "ranges" change too fast.

In fact, you should really only think of three "ranges" when standing up- too far away to hit me, close enough to hit me, and then theres clinching, which is a whole different game.

The only REAL use for WC I can think of is when, say, you are mounted and they guy is throwing punches at you. In that case, you are stuck in a position very close to one another and you can deflect and do all that weird flowing hands stuff. Standing, "ranges" change too fast.

In fact, you should really only think of three "ranges" when standing up- too far away to hit me, close enough to hit me, and then theres clinching, which is a whole different game.

the 3 ranges are covered, just not on those terms

you either train for them, or you dont, that depends on the person.

most Kung Fu schools I've seen dont think much of the clinch because they dont see it very often, fights are fought from outside because if you get too close , it hurts too much.

some cross train and add the clinch and groundfight(which WC has), but like I said, is rarely seen.

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

Well then kung fu schools are giving themselves a huge weakness that I would exploit if I ever fought one of its' students.

look for one, I'm sure they could learn from u as well as you could learn from them

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

• 1 month later...

Attacking limbs can be a very viable strategy, assuming you get yourself in the position to do so. If not, quickly attacking vital areas such as the neck and the bridge of the nose can end a fight fairly quickly. "Brutal Force" is not always the best choice in a fight...especially if the other guy has more strength and force than you.

What else would you use? Medium force? Light force? When you hit a guy, you want to hit him as hard as possible, right? Especially if you're smaller- every extra bit of force you can get from proper technique to bring him down. Besides, if you train in boxing, you probably know to hit a guy in the bridge of the nose, or the side of the neck, or any other dirty trick most guys just pick up (for streetfighting) here and there. As for attacking the limbs... come on. If i put my fists up and you try and hurt my arms, I'll hit you in the face. Plain and simple, it just doesn't work.

And if you present me with your punch, i may just grab your arm and break it, thus attacking your limbs. Not that i would to you of course!!

I dont think its so cut and dry as that.

Be like water my friend!!

You know what?...all this win chun vs boxing vs judo is REALLY getting on my nerves. Fighting is fighting and all arts have merit.

You may be an experienced fighter in boxing who gets a swift kick to the nuts and its over!! Its not the art but how the individaul, interperts the art, that decides the outcome of a fight.

Be like water my friend!!

the 3 ranges are covered, just not on those terms

you either train for them, or you dont, that depends on the person.

most Kung Fu schools I've seen dont think much of the clinch because they dont see it very often, fights are fought from outside because if you get too close , it hurts too much.

some cross train and add the clinch and groundfight(which WC has), but like I said, is rarely seen.

chinese styles - with the exception of shuai chiao - tend to trap instead of clinch. however, these days most fights enter clinch range at some point, so this range should be trained, IMO.