• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only style I've experienced that is softer than Wing Chun is Tai Chi. Using brute force while fighting is usually effective. But against those who know how to use soft energy, you were dead the moment you intended to fight.

just becuase the style is hard hitting doesn't mean its brute force. Boxing seems hard to alot of people but actually very skilled to me. Very good foot work, head and body movement, uses a few techniques in combination and stragey to pull off outstanding results. I seen vid's on the net boxers tooling wing chun and vice versa but most of the time in favor of the boxers.

I am not saying wing chun don't work. THinking that soft always beats hard is plain silly though.

For Wing Chun beginner, many would be too addicted to just keep using "Sun punch". And a bit dangerous if Boxer side step to throw

3 - 5 Combo punches.

If dealing with Thai boxer, I would say that low kick from MT would give

hard time for WC fighter usually. If in the ring, answer is nearly true

for this. If on the street, WC fighter should wear very hard base shoe

so as to have a chance to deal with or pass through MT low kick before

getting into WC shooting range.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

• 1 month later...

As a Wing Chun practitioner.. I'd have to say the style is limited. But I think Wing Chun should be applied, not adhered to. Mixing it with Tang Soo Do, Muay Thai, BJJ... things of that nature would make it very formidable, but due the lack of solid footwork and powerful strikes, I'd have ot say that WC would be in some deep trouble.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

As a Wing Chun practitioner.. I'd have to say the style is limited. But I think Wing Chun should be applied, not adhered to. Mixing it with Tang Soo Do, Muay Thai, BJJ... things of that nature would make it very formidable, but due the lack of solid footwork and powerful strikes, I'd have ot say that WC would be in some deep trouble.

I believe that Wing Chun, as taught by authentic schools/sifus and in its complete form, is a formidable art which contains effective footwork and powerful strikes (both hands and legs).

The problem nowadays, as with many other traditional martial arts, is there don't seem to be many good schools around as compared with lets say kick boxing or BJJ schools.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

i think it is all too easy to blame the school for the lacking in the training of the individual. In my experience, if a practioner of any style is lacking in any dedpartment, it is usually down to their own lack of work. In general, the art itself hasn't change much. How the individual trains is a different matter.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

In my experience, if a practioner of any style is lacking in any dedpartment, it is usually down to their own lack of work.

That is true in one level. But as you probably know many practitioners don't have the first chance to benefit from hard work because it is more than likely that they are practising in a mediocre school. We live in the era of Mcdojos/kwoons after all, where most traditional arts seem to be taught by dubious instructors, some better than others no doubt but still below the standard that is demanded by the arts they teach.

In general, the art itself hasn't change much. How the individual trains is a different matter.

The art has not changed. It is the "instructors" who seem to "improve" it all the time who seem to be behind all the changes.

Use your time on an art that is worthwhile and not on a dozen irrelevant "ways".

Something that I have noticed that noone has yet to mention is the similarities between the arts mentioned, especially between wing chun and muay thai. for example, the teep or kicks used to set up in muay thai operate on the same principle as WC's stop-hit, or intercept: basically you use your closest weapon, in this case your foot, to open the gate, so to speak, for your next weapon. Likewise, WC also has devastating elbow strikes: see WC's second form chum kiu, and utilizes the knee for its entry technique.

Also, as far asw kickboxing is concerned, WC uses a semblance of the "Stick & move" strategy. For those of you who are uninitiated into the traditional training of WC and sparring, we do not sit like ducks on a pond when fighting! True, we do not like to waste energy but that does nto mean that we sacrifice ourselves by not moving away from an oncoming target. Fact is, WC's triangular stepping is most effective against many so called "real-fighting" styles (as if to imply that there are martial arts that do not train for "real life" combat) and boxers, kickboxers or otherwise, do not corner the market on having evasive or even aggressive footwork.

As Ovine-king" suggested, training is everything! No martial art is perfect by itself, it takes the diligence and pain of discipline to truly master an art rather than have it as master over you. WC has been very adept at preventing me from receiving harm from the hands of both the desperate thugs of the street and the white collar thugs from the dojo, perhaps the same is true of others for muay thai or kickboxing--a question of "who would win" even if all things are equal is misleading because even twins are not equal--none ever recorded were delivered at exactly the same time--instead, as some budo texts recite: the warrior should consider his own demise daily" as a way of defeating his own fear of martial engagement or more precisely, defeat. But I digress, check out the text below my post about the anture of training in MA

When fear is removed, the arrogance of uncertainty is dispelled and it is therefore no longer necessary to prove yourself in any form of combat. By learning how to fight, you learn how not to fight.