• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Graduation tonight

@orion:

If you are serious about your TKD training, there is no other TMA (traditional martial art) that will get you in the shape you want to be in. Depending on your instructor (whether he likes punching or not), and you train with your kicks and your punches, you will get lean and tone. TKD is very good for getting people in shape...the only thing you should concern yourself with now, being in it for so short of a time, is focusing on the technique of all your kicks...making sure you chamber properly and such. You dont want to develop bad habits and have to relearn stuff, it takes more time to relearn than to learn it right first. Dont concern yourself with Black Belt or anything like that.

Also, take it home with you, but in moderation. You are just starting out, so the fire is burning, but dont burn yourself out...there are only so many nights when you can go home and do 100 round kicks and 100 side kicks...know when it is time to take some time off (from home training)...if you go 2 times a week, do another day at home by yourself reviewing, and when you get higher and higher it will pay off.

Dont GET your next belt...EARN IT

Thank you. I don't want to "get" my next belt, and this is something that is concerning me about the current class that I'm at. I know that I have only been in it for 3 weeks, but I don't feel like I'm challenged enough. Not to mention, since the price of gas went up, I can't really afford to be traveling 40 miles 4 days a week to this class. I noticed that some of the people in my school aren't even in shape, and they're about to test for black belt. I mean, they have big guts! I like the school, and I think it's fine for someone who just wants to learn TKD, but I want to learn TKD, be an excellent martial artist, and be ripped. I didn't want to compete before, I do now. I know this is a lot for me to be thinking of so early, but this is a life goal that I have wanted since I was 8 or so. I cannot put into words how bad I want this. I'm going to try another school this week. There is one 4 minutes from my house, and I have heard that he's the real deal, trains very hard, and it doesn't look like a lot of show. We shall see. I'm not going to quite my other school yet, I'll give it some more time, but I am learn (do to current money situations and the fact that is becoming far away with gas) I might try this other school out. Either way, I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again to everyone. This is going to be an incredible journey, and your support is very much appriciated!

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is another misconception about schools that I kinda get from your last post...

Dont be concerned about peope with big guts...some people can not control that...and they are entitled every right to train in the martial arts. You arent challenged because you have only been in it for 3 weeks. WAIT. You will get challenged...things only get harder. It doesnt matter what school you go to, you will see people who dont deserve to test (according to your standards)...

If you question the integrity of the school, maybe you should talk to the instructor. If he is a good one, he will be more than happy to extend to you the respect you deserve in paying for a service. I know when students come to me, it doesnt matter what their concern is, I listen, most of the time it isnt something that cant be taken care of.

You just need to understand that everyone does the MA for a reason...

You did it to get in shape and get ripped and get good and earn your belts...that is great, I wish all my students were like that, but make sure that you follow through with your journey, and help everyone else follow theirs.

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

No, I agree. However, this has become and issue of money as well. I cannot afford the classes because my wife has mono, and had to stop working for atleast a month. Also, I was turned down on my raise that I was suppose to get 2 months ago. I just found out on Friday that I'm not getting it. This is going to make things very tight, and the money that I'm spending for classes ($200 a month) is going to help out a lot. I'm going to attend a class on Tuesday. I'm hoping it will be cheaper, and still give me what the other has (value, tradition, friendship) plus a little more. I will let you all know how it goes. Hopefully it will be more affordable. This all happened on Friday, and I signed up for the advanced classes on Wednesday. I hope my instructor understands.

Well, I can attend any day of the week, They will be training me on 8 different weapon styles, but the BO (which is what I want to learn) is only offered 1 day a month. They will also teach me kinda like a tactical defence. How to disarm a handgun, shotgun, and knife. Some other little things, but that's it.

I mean, if I wasn't in a finacial situation right now, it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm sure they will offer me a couple months free, but I don't know when I'll be able to pay these fees. Plus, I'm getting married in 3 weeks, and my soon to be wife has mono, and still will for a couple of months. She needs me around the house. Not to mention, If I found some place closer, I could go to the class, train, and come back in less than 90 minutes. Now, it takes me almost 2-3 hours, depending on how long I stay for. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great school, but my needs are different right now. 3 weeks ago when I signed up, this wasn't a problem. But... since I got shot down on my promotion, money is going to be TIGHT!

If you are really adamant about staying where you are staying...I would talk to the instructor...let him know the situation...it might just be more convenient to train at home and get to the studio when you can...

Let him know that you dont think you can afford to train there, but you arent interested in going to any other schools. Maybe he can document what you need to know and you could learn it on your own, and then when you get a chance to go to the studio he can evaluate what you have learned. Switching schools is a hard thing...

And if you dont mind switching, that is cool too, but most of us like to stay where we are at...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

No, I see what your saying. I'm going to talk to him on Wednesday. Tonight, I'm going in to try and see what this other school can offer me. I have only been in it for almost 3 weeks, so switching isn't really going to bother me.