• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long is TOO long?

Hiya all.

This is a spin-off from how long to black belt. How long do you think is TOO long to wait to test for black belt? For instance, I know of a guy (adult) in our dojang that has been training for 9 years that has been a high red belt (1st gup) for 4 or 5 years. I have been training 4 years in TKD (plus previous exerience), and I have been a 2nd gup for a year (almost).

Anyways, tell me what you think/feel is too long and why.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i was a brown for 1/2 years and am now coming up to a year eing 2nd kyu brown and white i have been training for nearly 7 years since the age of 7 with a 2 year break in the middle yet some people can do it in 2 1/2 years dont worry ask your sensei to teach you how to improve and progress thats what i do when im stuck on a belt he usually comes up with very good surgestions.

The key to everything is continuity achieved by discipline.

How often does this 1st gup work out? Does this individual want to test? How often do you work out? What is the etiquette in your class for testing (do you have to ask to be tested)?

If the answer to these questions are at least once a week during those yrs mentioned and you don't have to ask to be tested... I'd say it's been too long.

yea, never. However my idea was to move through the colored belts normaly and once i got to brown, i would take a REALLY LOONG time getting through so i really feel i earned it and a whole bunch of other reasons. So it all depends on your life shedule, but dont go by everyone else in your dojo, that really makes it not worth while.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I would say too long is if someone is ready to test and they are not invited. Too short is when they aren't ready.

Some folks work hard, and want to earn their belts as fast as possible. Others don't care. What matters is what's right for you.

I dont think theres a such thing as "too long" for a black belt in martial arts.

A black belt is supposed to be an amazing achievement that, quite frankly, not everyone should be able to accomplish. Its SUPPOSED to be difficult to get a black belt. If the guy in question for some reason isnt of that status yet, he shouldnt recieve it. If he never reaches this level, then he should never get his black belt.

I dont think theres a such thing as "too long" for a black belt in martial arts.

A black belt is supposed to be an amazing achievement that, quite frankly, not everyone should be able to accomplish. Its SUPPOSED to be difficult to get a black belt. If the guy in question for some reason isnt of that status yet, he shouldnt recieve it. If he never reaches this level, then he should never get his black belt.

True, but a Shodan is really just a beginner. (look up the translation) So yes, you need a great deal of skill to earn the rank, but while it's a big achievement it's also just the beginning of your martial arts training if you're serious. I do agree like anything worthwhile, it shouldn't be easy, and it is a major accomplishment, but it's not an end point contrary to popular opinion.

How often does this 1st gup work out? Does this individual want to test? How often do you work out? What is the etiquette in your class for testing (do you have to ask to be tested)?

I see him, at least, twice a week. I train three days a week, more if my schedule permits. We can not ask to be tested (for 2nd gups and higher ... it's totally up to our instructor).

The two I mentioned, we both failed tests before. I failed because of nerves. He failed the "physical" part (running, ect) of the BB test a few times. But then again, I really don't know his situation, either.

But I agree that BB should be big achievement, and you should work hard for it. I'm at a point that I want to improve on lots of stuff before I test for BB. Maybe I'm a bit picky (about technique), but I know I have earned my BB when I do test (and pass LOL).

Laurie F