• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Entertaining Teenagers

What "Games" or "Activities" do you guys use in your class to entertain the teenager students.

1st Degree Adult Black Belt Recommended

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

Aamerican Colleges of Karate

Keeping my eyes on a goal and never letting my sights off it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I'm not an instructor, but in one of my classes (filled with people of all ages), we played this hilarious game in which all students walk or jog around the dojo. Then, the sensei or instructor calls out a number, and the students must get into groups that contain that number of people. Whoever is left out must do 5 push-ups.

It sounds boring, but people get really into it, and really crazy. It's very exciting!

Kool Kiais: ICE! DIE! KITES! DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHH! KIAI!

"Know Thyself"

"Circumstances make me who I am."

I've seen groups of kids who are just barely teenagers or are younger play duck-walk tag. Everyone has to do duck walks, but one person who is it tries to tag someone else, just like tag. They have to keep their hands behind their back unless they are within a close enough proximity to tag someone, that way they have to try to move quickly, but also keep their balance. When it comes to teenagers though, I haven't really done any "fun" activities. We don't do a lot of game playing in my dojo.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

What "Games" or "Activities" do you guys use in your class to entertain the teenager students.

Uh, why do you feel you need to "entertain" them? Why not just teach them the martial arts?

I have several teens in my class ages 13-16 and they do everything every other person in the class does. In fact, depending on the day, usually one of them is the senior student that class. If you feel you need to entertain them and not just teach them, then it is you that has the problem. You might be boring them.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Maybe I am just trying to get new ideas for games at the end of class. We play the same game most of the time.

Aam-Ka-Jutsu

Teenagers train with the adults at my dojo, so they don't get to play games or anything like that.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

Forget the games IMO and just train. Although they are still technically "kids", they don't need to be treated as such.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Why? They have fun when they play games, while they do play they learn also. Yes, the games are fun but we incorporate listening skills, discipline, and Self-Control.

Aam-Ka-Jutsu