• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My 6 yr old son began training in Karate, but we move to an area where there is mostly TKD. We have tried a Japanese based Ju Jitsu, but his goal is not self-defense and this class was too extreme for him. He didn't care for the choke holds! He really liked the punching, kicking & sparring aspects of his karate class. They also focused some on defense tactics, but kept it simple for beginners. When we moved our instructor discouraged us from switching to TKD. Is this common for instructors of different arts? After researching TKD, it seems to me TKD would be a good fit for my sons goals. Any thoughts would be helpful. Thank you for your replies.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I can tell you from my experiance (Shotokan Karate for some time at age 10) and now taking TKD, that there is more of a focus, atleast from my stand point, on more kicking. Now, last night, we did focus on punching (jabs, blocks, crosses and upper cuts). We have a lot of little kids in our dojo. I can tell you they love it, and are move flexible than me. There is one kid ( I swear has to be like 8 years old) comes up to my chest barely and I'm 5'8. He's an advanced brown belt, and was doing some crazy stuff last night with the Kama's, not to mention his kicks and balance are out of this world. I would take your son to a few TKD classes (different dojo's) and see what he thinks. Maybe let him deside what he want's.

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

I too am a convert from Shotokan to TKD. There are many similarities between the two. I agree with orion.....take him to a few classes and let him watch. The caution is to make sure the school is not a belt factory-as there are many schools (of varying arts) that take your money and hand you the belts!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Taekwondo is excellent for children. Children love punching and kicking!

What's most important is the instructor, and how well he keeps the kids interested. No matter how good the instruction or the system is, it doesn't matter if the child doesn't want to go. If the instructor is well qualified and your son still wants more at the end of each class, you are in the right place.

--

Thanks for the advice. We tried the TKD Dojo last night and my son said that was the best place we had been to here! ( I agree.) He wants to go back. I found out the instructor also has a shotokan background and incorporated many of the techinques my son had already learned into the class. I have to help him with horse stance though - he doesn't quite get that. lol! He kept trying to do the ready stance he learned from his old Dojo.

Thanks! I'm so glad we found a school because my son is so enthusiastic about MA in general. You can't wipe the smile off his face when he's in (a good) class - even if he's just doing sit-ups. I pretty sure this Dojo is not a McDojo because they didn't even talk about belts with me. They said for $50 you get a uniform and months worth of classes. If you like it then we'll talk about the rest. I went to another place and they were like in 2 years you can be a black belt. I almost jumped out of the chair and ran. I promised my son he could use the men's public restroom alone when he got his black belt :lol: I knew it would be at least 4-5 yrs at our old Dojo and it was the only way I could get him to stop asking! Then here's this guy just giving him his BB in 2 yrs.

That's good. I wouldn't want my son being a black belt at the age of 8. It's too much for a child. He needs to still learn math, english, and science to worry about being a black belt. Good job on picking him the right school based on what he wants, and what you don't want him to have (a purchase black belt!)

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

You know...when it comes to children in the martial arts...it is best to give them something that will keep their attention.

TKD is very attention grabbing, with its flashy kicks, and lightning speed. It is great. Now alot of instructors integrate very effective self-defense into their programs, and others dont...

Like previously suggested, I recommend taking your kid to the class...let him sit around, and if allowed, let him take a free private lesson (at every school you go to)...and then after you try them all out, go back to the one that you liked the best...

sk0t

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."