• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I think the main point here is that no instructor will take you seriously if you dont take them seriously. Attempting to learn more than one style at once is foolish and impatient, and will likely lead to confusion and a general waste of time. It is like trying to be a Muslim and a Catholic at the same time, many of the concepts just dont work together. You will likely become ineffective at using either styles strengths to the fullest.

To be worn out is to be renewed.

-Lao Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main point here is that no instructor will take you seriously if you dont take them seriously. Attempting to learn more than one style at once is foolish and impatient, and will likely lead to confusion and a general waste of time. It is like trying to be a Muslim and a Catholic at the same time, many of the concepts just dont work together. You will likely become ineffective at using either styles strengths to the fullest.
"It is like trying to be a Muslim and a Catholic at the same time,"

there a book about that,it's called :The life of pi" by Yann Martel.The only difference was that besides the afformentioned religions he was also practicing Hinduism.

Also I'm taking the advice from you guys and only training in Karate and Kobudo.I'm going to do Kobudo because it's like Karates brother and it's not going to heavily interfere with my training.Also it's taught by the same teacher.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

• 3 weeks later...

so it does have mostly punches.Does it have any grappling?

Hung Ga has the tiger claw. The grip is painful, used mainly to control the opponent & create openings before striking. There are some chokes/neck breaks but it's not a grappling style.

how come traditional kung fu frowns on learning more than one style from more than one teacher?I used to go to McDojo/McKwoon that had similar rules to that,but it was a extremely sport oriented fake kung fu school.

Your Sifu/Sensei has more than enough knowledge to share about the art you are currently learning. To not give the art 100% of your focused attention shows disrespect to your Sifu & prevents you from learning the true essence of the style. Which means it will never work when needed. Only leave your chosen martial art or instructor for sound reasons. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

well that was at my last school,which was like I said a rip off.At the school I'm at I only take the karate and weapons classes,because of time and dedication to the art.

https://www.samuraimartialsports.com for your source of Karate,Kobudo,Aikido,And Kung-Fu

i've just got back from my hung-gar class and we have just been practising joint locks and there are quite alot of joint locks and take down manuvers and ways to hold people on the ground as well as the neck breaks and limb brakes already mentioned so there is a little bit of grappling sort of stuff in it. also have to agree with what people have said about stance training(get ready to be sore the next day).

Thou shalt not follow a multitude to do evil~Exodus 23:2

Violence, even well intentioned, always rebounds upon oneself.~Lao Tzu

And mankind is naught but a single nation~quran

It always strikes me funny when people say it is disrespectful to learn another art. I study Kuntao, which is considered a "live art" (always learning and adapting), and I know for a fact my current teacher would only encourage it. He even brings in another teacher with a backround in many other styles to share with us occasionally. Do we keep everything he teaches us? No. But we definitely listen and practise anything he knows which can help our gong fu. Learning another art won't always ruin the one you're already learning. It can enrich it.

36 styles of danger

• 2 weeks later...

It never hurts to look around, and test the waters.

Eventually find something and stick to it. It's worth it in the long run.

:)

Current:Head Instructor - ShoNaibuDo - TCM/Taijiquan/Chinese Boxing Instructor

Past:TKD ~ 1st Dan, Goju Ryu ~ Trained up 2nd Dan - Brown belt 1 stripe, Kickboxing (Muay Thai) & Jujutsu Instructor

Be at peace, and share peace with others...