• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who here studies Jhoon Rhee TKD?

I agree that GM Rhee is a pretty amazing guy.

Just out of curiousity, can you name the school you are at now? If you were going to the Jhoon Rhee school in MD I'm probably not too far, and right now I have my eyes open for schools...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

First, I would ask you what you're looking for. I have done a lot of research on schools in my area (Baltimore) and I have only found so many that aren't McDojo's. The one that has caught my eyes is Master Apolo's school. He's the real deal, trains you very hard, and does stick fighting. I have been in contact with someone who use to compete and trained with Master Apolo and his brother.

Where are you located?

I don't have to be the best, just better than you!

Working towards 11% BF and a Six pack

Ideally I'd be looking for a school that taught something like this:

40% punching and various hand techs.

30% kicking

10% elbow/knee, etc. strikes

10% wristlocks, throws, etc.

10% ground grappling

Ideally I'd like something that is inbetween a rigid traditional attitude, and a very modern MMA style attitude as far as training goes. I like a bit of tradition, but some modern ideas as well.

I'd like like a place that isn't a McDojo/Dojang, and has a freindly atmosphere where they don't milk you for all your money. Ideally some place that isn't 100% centered around kids classes, but also not some place that thinks they are training you for the next UFC.

I'm in the Columbia, MD area.

Well, in all honestly, I don't think TKD is what you want. Perhaps maybe a form of Karate. Try asking in that forum, and see what you find. The school that I'm looking into now, does mostly foot work, but also incorporates Karate for hand combat. They also teach ground techniques as well. It's very hardcore at this new place I'm looking at, which is what I think my mind and body needs to be an excellent MA. I would like to compete (for fun) Perhaps if you could also list what you're willing to spend per month. Do you have any pervious MA experaince?

I'm looking to spend around $100 a month.

I have done various types of karate (Including some Tang Soo Do), Japanese Ju-jitsu, wrestling, and some kickboxing. I also have done a bit of Tai-Chi that wasn't done with an idea of martial application (If I could find a place nearby that did it with a martial application, I'd be tempted)

I agree that TKD isn't exactly what I need to be looking at. I'm flexible about some of the stuff I listed. I'm really looking to have fun more than anything else.

I would say keep asking around in here. Do some research on some different MA's. Your back ground looks like you have moved around. TKD is fun, but $100 is pretty cheap. I'm paying $200 now at my current school. Now, the school that I'm looking to attend is $450 every 3 months, or if I get a friend to do it with me, it will be split in half, so really $75 bucks a month. Let us know what you find. Take my advice, look around, take some test classes, and think about it. I jumped into the first one thinking it was great, and soon found out that it's not what I'm looking for.

Yeah, it's a lot. I have found another place that is going to charge $75 a month if me and my friend join. I have heard from other MA's that this guy is good. My Uncle trains in Aikido, and his instructor also teaches a form of Karate, and even he said that this guy is good. So, I'm looking forward to it.