• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Chung-Gun Hyung question

I’ve got a question about the staff blocks at the end of Chung-Gun. These have always confused me. I understand that they are blocking a staff, but the block seems so impractical. First of all, your rear hand is stretched way out in front of and over your head. Your front hand is too low to do any good. The awkwardness of the block puts your whole body as a target. The position of the hands during the block would mean that someone was trying to strike you with the long side of a staff.

Am I missing something on this? Is there another application that I haven’t noticed yet?

Thanks,

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

the hand infront of your face is on your nose height right?this is the height of the pattern is for the beauty of style, but when use, maybe u can change the height which u needed to block,

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

Jook-Am blackbelt 2nd dan pattern

GTF Taekwondo

Chinese Kick Boxing Junior Learner

https://www.sonkal.cz

the style i learn is near to my sholder, the block is to hit away the staff, i think i saw alot of different style, some people block until the height of nose, some people block with the hight of lower to shoulder,the style i m learning is blocking with power, i m still looking for more nice style

Jumping kicks must have a reason, to cover distance, or to take down a mounted opponent.

GTF Taekwondo

From my experiences, the way this technique is taught and executed varies among instructors. However, consider the possibility that the intepretation you have been given may only be one intepretation. Movements within the forms do not have to have a single purpose. As you grow in your training, you will begin to see more possibilites if you look for them and keep an open mind.

For example, this technique can be grabbing both low and high targets of an opponent perhaps for a throw or takedown. You could also be striking, perhaps both groin and throat. Closing the hands can also be a technique used to strike multiple targets simulteneously.

I would encourage you to find the intepretation that works best for you.

Jeff

yeeah, thanks for your explain, i have been played pattern with unmeaningly so many years, always attend competition but i didnt know the meaning of the pattern and the uses of the movement, thank u so much,i hope i can find more from everywhere

GTF Taekwondo