• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wan kan

SaiFightsMS

For those of you who practice the kata wan kan, do you do the opening sequences toward the corners in nekoashi dachi or kokutsu dachi? I have seen it both ways. Also the moving sequence to the front with the arms together. Do you do that in cat stance or zenkutsu dachi? Edited by SaiFightsMS

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We call this kata matsukaze

and the first moves to each side are done in nekoashi dachi (cat) . well the first move is to step to the left and face right and do a neko ahsi and shuto uke then repet to the oppsite side when facing to the left after the shuto uke we step in zen kutsu with the side elbow then face shomen in shiko dachi . well i could go on with the rest of the kata but you get the idea. hope this helps

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

• 2 years later...
we do the opening sequence in kokutsu-dachi, and if you mean the move with the grab and strike to the knee-cap, we do this in cat stance! Hope this helps! :kiss:

I'll just ditto what she said... :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Hey Sai

We do the first 2 moves in a back stance and shift the weight much like in Heian Yondan.

The moves where you spin and catch the kick and strike the knee are in a cat stance.

The move after the arms come together when you step in twice and prform the pressing block are in front stances.

I only picked up Wankan last summer but I really enjoy it. Prob. because its short lol. Na really I just like the flow.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

As per G95champ above... I think the two wedge blocks are better described as taken from Gojushiho Sho (not 'mr pointy fingers' version) rather than H4 as H4 pulls back to a feet together position before stepping out rather than crossing and stepping in one go.

A few questions...

1.. Do you all do the kake wake uke (wedge blocks) towards the 45degrees angle or more towards the 90degrees angle from where you start (ahead being 0degrees)? :-?

2.. Can any of you get back perfectly to the embusen? I cant... about a foot to the left usually :(

3.. The push (tate shuto) then double punch techniques, do you do the first as staying in sochin dachi and the other two as changes from sochin dachi to zenkutsu dachi (like we do)? Just seems a little strange so was wondering if it is a common idea or not. :idea:

Andy.

Andy Wilkinson (Sandan)

Renketsu Karate Club Senior Instructor

(http://www.renketsu.org.uk)