• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ju Jitsu - safe for a 6 yr old?

I am looking for a new Dojo for my son who studied Zen Do Kai Karate for 6 months. We moved out of state and ZDK is not availble here. Quite frankly all I have found so far is McDojo's who want me to sign a 2-3 yr contract and wow my son will be a black belt at the age of 8/9! I am checking out a dojo tonight that is Ju Jitsu, but I am not familiar with this style. Is this a safe art for a young child to practice? I liked the instructor on the phone because he didn't try to "sell" me. He just said come and check us out to see if its right for your son. The class is specifically for 5-7 yr olds. Thanks for your help!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try to figure out specifically which style of Jiu Jitsu it is (either its Brazilian or its not to keep it simple).

That said, if it is Brazilian, there are many kids who start training in it when they're around 5 years old. We should all have been so lucky.

Yea just think about and talk to the instructor on how he does things, i wasnt aware that people made contracts for classes though...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I think its safe for a 6 year old... In my jujutsu group there were many 6 year olds, and they did just fine.

What hurts you but doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

i cant think a style thats not same for kids when tought right (mabe krav maga) but i think its great that you wount put your kid in a mcdojo, i wish all moms where as smart with there kids MA education as you.

AMITABHA

Fist visible Strike invisible

Yeah for one, dont go with the guy with the contract, and as long as your kid understands that jujistsu is for self defense and that he should not be going around trying to pick fights then he sould be good

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

• 3 weeks later...

IT would probably be fine i mean even like a capoeira class would be fine for a 6 year old if it was designed for 5-7 year olds. If the people seem nice though then its fine otherwise get out of there and go to one of the mcdojos where everyone is a faimly and nice and work hard but the odds of finding a mcdojo like that is very unlikely especially since its not really a mcdojo anymore, but just make a logical judgement if it seems fine. I also doubt the instructor would still be teaching if he did dangerous things in class for kids. Oh and never go anywhere with a contract just to say that real quick.

Focus

Jujitsu styles vary a great deal. Some are more of a composite system with throws, jointlocks, chokes, strikes, groundwork and some weapons training. Others might pick one of these areas and specialize in them. Check out the school and see if it it fits your child's needs/personality.

Some throws are not appropriate for children in that they are too dangerous.

Joint locks are not appropriate for children either because their bones are not mature enough to handle the type of stress joint locks put on the bones.

Choke/strangle holds are not appropriate for children as well.

Talk to the instructor and ask him/her if these things are taught and practiced with the kids.

Most of the basic fundamentals can be taught to kids safely so that when they are old enough the other techniques can be introduced safely.

Regards,

Benjamin Delich

From what you shared, the jujitsu school seems like a better choice. The fact that the first dojo brought up contracts so fast tells me they are only in it for the money. There are several factors that may cause you to change schools and being stuck in a contract would basically suck. I'd say watch a few classes at the jujitsu school and if you and your child likes it, sign him up!

The only thing for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.