• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Original Hapkido Kicks

I have not been here for a long time. I switched to CMA a couple of months ago.

So my question concerns about the original Hapkido kicks. After leaving KMA, I began to evaluate the techniques I had learned from TKD, especially the kicks. When sparring in my new class, I learned that a lot of the Olympic style sparring I was taught was not efficient. I have begun to research more and more on the original TKD and HKD techniques in an effort to enrich my fighting style.

I learned that originally TKD had only three techniques- front, roundhouse, and side- and practicioners were taught where to aim these kicks as well as counters. Currently, I try to hone myself to these three kicks also. I also learned that in HKD, Master Choi also taught these three kicks and created ten kicking techniques. I have pulled this from a website that I do not remember right now, but here goes.

1. Kick with arch of the foot to lower ankle or inside of ankle.

2. Front kick with toes to testicle.

3. Reverse/inverted roundhouse kick to groin/testicle.

4. Side outside knife edge of foot to the knee joint,

5. Front inside knife edge of foot to the knee joint.

6. Front kick to jaw/chin.

7. Fanning kick to the thigh/femoral artery area.

8. Kick with heel of foot into spine while spinning/pushing.

9. Low side kick into back/side knee area.

10. Back kick with rear foot to chest.

Can anyone describe the fanning kick? I was in TKD for a long time, and I have never heard of it. I also noticed taht all the kicks were low and the target areas were low also- ankle, groin, knee joint, thigh, with the exception of #6. Actually can anyone describe all these techniques in more detail?

I have personally never seen HKD before. My master told me that many of the techniques that I was taught was pulled from HKD, like Hoshinsul, but I was never sure. What techniques did Master Choi originally teach? And not Master Ji, who I know added a lot to the curriculum...

Thank you for your time.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fanning kick = crescent kick

1. Basic standing front sweep.

2. self explanitory

3. when grabbed from behind, bring the heel into the groin from the ground

4. side kick to the knee

5. twisted side kick to the knee

6. self explanitory

7. crescent kick to the femorial artery (high inner thigh)

8. Spinning hook kick/ wheel kick, to the spine

9. self explanitory

10. self explanitory

I know I didn't explain them. I simply worded them differently, using other terms for the same kicks. If you need more instruction, I would suggest you get in touch with a qualified instructor to demonstrate and teach them to you.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Let me see if I can adequately describe it.

Imagine you are in a relaxed posture, facing forward. This means your toes are also facing forward. Now, without changing your feet, you look to the left. Your target is knee level. You raise your right knee (back leg) and thrust your heel toward the target, crossing your left leg. I have listed some differances between this kick, and the usual side kick.

#1. It crosses in front of the lead leg with very minimal rotation of the hip.

#2. The toes are still facing the same way, to the front of your position. As opposed to a 180 degree pivot of the body when they would face opposite.

#3. The arch of the foot is facing up, as opposed to the blade of the foot being on top in a normal side kick.

Other names for the kick include cross kick and tunda kick.

As far as the fanning kick, it is a crescent kick moving from the outside to the inside.

If the above description of the technique does not clear it up, let me know. I'll attempt another avenue.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."