• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Loudly or quietly?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Interesting, I hadn't heard people bothering with that. I've been taught to breathe naturally. Are you talking about during forms, two person drills, or meditation? If during meditation I would definitely say just breathe naturally.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

To be honest, something like that is a hindrance. When doing purely qigong exercises (standing, sitting, etc), you should be going into quiet. Worrying about whether the breath should be loud or quiet will keep you from doing that. We must remember that even tools for getting into quiet (three going into one, counting the breath, mantras, etc) are *tools* for going *into* quiet, and when you are in quiet you are not doing them. Eventually we don't even want to use them, eventually we need to just sit.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.

As it was explained to me, loud breathing was placed into training for the sake of the instructor being able to hear the student's breathing. It is said a trained instructor can hear proper breathing vs improper breathing when it is done loudly. Kind of ironic since I do agree in many ways it does hinder energy flow. Of course I have only seen loud breathing practiced in arts that focus on hard chi conditioning so, there you go.

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.

Of course I have only seen loud breathing practiced in arts that focus on hard chi conditioning so, there you go.

What is the difference between hard chi conditioning and other types?

or in other words, what is hard chi? :-?

What works works

i think its that some arts learn to develop chi through tensing muscles and some through pure relaxation

So do I!

The only two things that stand between an effective art and one that isn't are a tradition to draw knowledge from and the mind to practice it.