• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Martiol Arts outlawed in the US?

Any style that requires you to smoke cuban cigars while you practice it. :lol:

It would be unconstitutional I think to actually ban a martial art, but a school could be shut down if it was teaching explicitly illegal activity. For instance if someone was teaching bomb making and passing it off as a "martial art" it would likely be shut down.

However it would likely be beneficial to the industry if some sort of requirement were put in place to avoid fraud from schools with teachers claiming credits they don't have. The only problem is this might do as much damage as it does good. There are lots of competent teachers who learned from someones back yard from a teacher who couldn't afford a school but was no less qualified, and in China there are many such small backyard schools who are skilled but unorginized. I'd hate to see instructors from these backgrounds cut out of the licensing process.

To preserve the enemies armies is best, to destroy their armies, second best.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly I think just specific tournaments and the like are outlawed, not the actual martial art itself. In a country where you can own a bazooka but not use it, I don't foresee any MA being illegal.

However it would likely be beneficial to the industry if some sort of requirement were put in place to avoid fraud from schools with teachers claiming credits they don't have. The only problem is this might do as much damage as it does good. There are lots of competent teachers who learned from someones back yard from a teacher who couldn't afford a school but was no less qualified, and in China there are many such small backyard schools who are skilled but unorginized. I'd hate to see instructors from these backgrounds cut out of the licensing process.

I agree with you here. It would be hard to do, and to be effective. I think that if something like this was attempted, you would end up seeing wars between organizations who claim real this or real that.

I don't really see it happenining. We're a culture that sees a much higher value in armed combat. If it ever goes to martial law, that will be the focus, not ma's.

I think the reason why MA's aren't more closely regulated by the government is that they don't see them as a credible threat.

I disagree with that assessment, but if the government thought that teaching martial arts were a nuisance to the public, you can bet there would be alot of schools shut down.

Green Belt, Chito-Ryu

Level II, US Army Combatives

https://www.chito-ryukempo.com

• 4 weeks later...

Two inmates are having a conversation...

"What are ya' in for?" asks Inmate #1

"For doing the Martial Arts!" answers Inmate #2

"What?" replies Inmate #1, rather shocked.

This may sound surreal, but, can you imagine this really happening in the future? It wouldn't surprise me!

:lol:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The sport of kickboxing was outlawed in Massachusetts back in the 1970's. Not training or teaching, just holding contests for money. It was done by the Department of Public Safety - which also included the boxing commission. The boxing commission ruled that since kicking was considered dirty fighting by boxing rules, it should not be done in the state. The ban lasted ten years or so.

Why was it done? Because kickboxing shows were starting to outdraw boxing shows.

Recently, (two years ago) the State of Mass decided to no longer sanction MMA shows. They didn't ban them, just decided to no longer sanction them. The shows still went on to sold out crowds, but the state was no longer involved and cost the state much needed revenue. Then, the City of Boston decided to no longer grant any licenses to hold MMA shows within City of Boston limits.

Why did all of this happen? The boxing commission again. They were drawing about fifty people to boxing shows and MMA shows were turning away hundreds after being sold out.

All this is about to be overturned thanks to Dana White and some hard lobbying.

I know this is different than this thread was originally talking about - but I figured you guys might find it interesting to see how politicians can screw up anything, especially Martial Arts.