• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt in 2-3 yrs?

mamom

Of course most students NEVER make it to black belt.

Yes , few only make it to BB , why do you think is the reason ??

Why, we live in an instant society. Many people don't want to wait. They want things right away. Look at this discussion. The focus in on time. Not content of what you're learning. Look at college degrees. Look at how many people earn degrees, and how many drop out. Now look at advanced degrees. If I'm not mistaken, only about 10% of the population has an advanced degree. The reason is that there is a huge investment in time and money. The same thing happens in martial arts. Look at the ranks. Lots and lots of white belts. Less middle ranks, and few high ranking students. Then look at the number of students that get to Shodan. They're like the folks that earn a * degree. How many folks stop here? Lots!!! Now how many earn higher ranks in the black belt ranks. These are like the folks in the MS degree ranks. Finally the really high ranks are like PhDs. Not too many here. True dedication is requried here.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just the "instant society" that keeps people from achieving Black Belt. Throughout history, only a very few have reached the top of any pursuit. In the middle ages, most people never became knights. In the 16th century, most people did not explore the world. During the industrial revolution, most people did not become captains of industry. Most Little League ball players never reach the Majors. They all dream of it, but most don't stick with it.

The fact is, in any age, most people do not achieve great things. Most people are content to just muddle through an average life. There is nothing wrong with most people. Those of us who are driven to achieve something special are the vast minority.

u definitely will not be a good black belt if u go there, the studio i go to it takes 8 to 10 years before u get ur black belt

"Bushido is realized in the presence of death"

"TapouT or PassouT"

u definitely will not be a good black belt if u go there, the studio i go to it takes 8 to 10 years before u get ur black belt

Not necessarily. Quality of training is just as important as length of time training. Actually it's more important. A dedicated student in an excellent program will be better off than a student in a mediocre program for a longer time. Another example is the guy who only trains 2 times per week vs the guy who trains 5 or 6 times per week. It also depends on the art.

Of course if the black belt is promised in any length of time there is a problem, and I wouldn't trust the school.

A long length of time does not ensure a quality black belt. In some martial arts, an excellent program can train a skilled black belt in three years. I know because I have seen it.

I attained the rank of 1st dan Black Belt in just over 3 years from a dojo that has trained hundreds of Black Belts. I feel that my knowledge is adequate and my training was excellent. I received my Black Belt in 1989, by the way.

I have judged many tests and tournaments and have seen students from other schools that are not as well prepared as those from mine are.

It is my experience that schools that promise advancement are just in it for the money. I saw many students drop out of my school over the years I have been involved with it and it is a motivational problem that causes most to do so.

I would wish anyone that is attempting to find the right school the best luck. It isn't always easy.

• 1 month later...
Only thing that guarantees a black belt is a lot of hard work, sweat and some tears. Time should not be an issue not everyone is going to progress as fast as others. My system is a average of 4 to 7 years but very few have made it in 4.

Actually I can buy one for a few bucks, or go to a McDojo and buy one by spending a lot of money!!!! :karate: . But you're right to truely earn one requires lots of hard work.

Only thing that guarantees a black belt is a lot of hard work, sweat and some tears. Time should not be an issue not everyone is going to progress as fast as others. My system is a average of 4 to 7 years but very few have made it in 4.

Actually I can buy one for a few bucks, or go to a McDojo and buy one by spending a lot of money!!!! :karate: . But you're right to truely earn one requires lots of hard work.

Yep you can buy one but that doesn't mean you are one thats the problem that people don't understand. Thank you for saying that just helps illustrate our points of why hard work is best. I am so glad to see people around here are saying earn it don't buy it.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

• 2 weeks later...

I think that people should be able to get a black belt in 3 years IF THEY ARE VERY DEDICATED AND PRACTICE AT HOME.

Other than that at least 5 years. (in my oppinion at least to be good and undoubtably a black belt)

~BBB

Training 14 years

Kalkinodo Blackbelt

• 1 month later...