• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black Belt in 2-3 yrs?

mamom

Hi we've just moved from TX to MO and are in the process of checking out new Dojo's. My son was taking Zen Do Kai Karate (for about 6 months), but there are no ZDK schools here. I am running into a lot of schools that promise a black belt in 2-3 years. Is this common because at our Dojo it was at least 5-6 years? They never promised or advertised a time frame to earn one.

Also I ran into a sticky situation with a friend who wanted our sons to take a Hap Ki Do class together, but I just felt uncomfortable with the Dojo and my son said he wouldn't go back. This school said he would get his black belt in 2 years. Is the HKD belt system just really different? My friend is signing her child up, but I think its a big mistake. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, any dojo that "promises/guarantees" a black belt in a certain time frame is a McDojo. Run, don't walk, to the nearest exit and keep a good hold of your wallet and check book!

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Yep those kind are not very good to go to...like the previous post said...RUN AWAY..lol!

Btw..what part of MO do you live in?

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

I live in North KC. Thanks for the replies. Sometimes you have to listen to your gut! I'll keep checking out other Dojo's. My son loved his old Dojo and his life's ambition is to be one of those Power Ranger actors. He actually knows they are not superheroes, but actors who have studied MA. lol!

Schools that offer a black belt in 2-3 years are definatly a questionable place. Make sure you don't find a dojo that says it will take between 8-10 either. Although some of those schools are real, legitimet schools, a lot of them are actually jsut wanting to keep you there for either the money, or to make there classes look big. But there arn't to many of those around.

Seito Shito-Ryu - 3rd Kyu (1st Brown)

Japanese Sword - 7th Kyu (White Belt)

Earned my 1st Degree Black in American Kenpo

~Sensai Patient is my Sensai!~

2 years?!?!?!?! RUN!!!! Far, far away.

I seen it happen at my dojang in 2 and a 1/2 years (long story), but my wimpy 2nd gup/kyu butt is better than them (I have been in TKD for 4 years with previous experience).

My school doesn't "promise" black belts unless you get on this "leadership instructor exelerated" thingy. It never works. Both my boyfriend and I turned it down when asked to do it. He got his BB in 3 and a 1/2 years (also training 4 years) and I'm just a 2nd gup (my choice ... I don't want no stinkin' gift LOL).

Sorry. I'm also kind of venting LOL

Laurie F

Aye, the goal is not the coveted black belt. The goal is to obtain knowledge, along with skills.

I 2nd that! and people that are rushing to black belt..then whats the point? You can't really say your a black belt if you know absolutly nothing!

JUST TRAIN

Student of the Han Method

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's allready tomorrow in Australia" Charles Schultz

https://www.YounWha.com

As the others have said, if anyone promises you a black belt in two years I would be very apprehensive. I think some schools that require contracts sometimes feel pressure from students and parents to make their child a black belt in two years. After all that's what they're paying for right? But a Black Belt is earned, not paid for!! Our Hanshi our younger students if they want a black belt give him for "five bucks and three working days and he can get them one. But it still won't make them a Black Belt." It took me over five years to earn my Black Belt but I feel like I have worked hard and put in many hours of training for the right to have it wrapped around my waist.

Good Luck in finding the right dojo. There is lots of good ones out there as well as the bad ones. Be careful. :)

"If your hand goes forth withhold your temper"

"If your temper goes forth withold your hand"

-Gichin Funakoshi

I am running into a lot of schools that promise a black belt in 2-3 years. Is this common because at our Dojo it was at least 5-6 years? They never promised or advertised a time frame to earn one.

In taekwondo it is not uncommon to be able to reach black belt in 2 - 4 years. It should never be promised or guaranteed in ANY timeframe. In the system I teach it is possible (but unlikely) to reach black belt in 2 years. When I am asked, I tell students that while it is mathmatically possible to reach black belt in two years, it usually takes at least 2.5 - 3 years with serious training. Of course most students NEVER make it to black belt.

--